Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all Hi!
I just got this Miyata 312. I'm trying to raise the saddle a little bit it doesn't seem to move. I tried to twist it with wrench and stuff... it's my first road bike, so don't know much about this. Maybe it is not suppose to be moved, i don't know... Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
well based on the split in the tube and the nuts to tighten it I would say the seat post will move, it looks like the seat post has just been driven down into the frame over the years, penetrating oil, and persistence (also I'm assuming you've already loosened those nuts) should do the job

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i opened the bottom bracket and poured oil inside the frame let it sit upside down almost 24 hrs. didn't work. it's like they've hammered it down

·
717 Posts
If all else fails (penatrating oil and such...for DAYS!) put some heat to it with a blue (lower temp than white) propane plumbers cylinder...you will probably blister the paint. Work it while it's hot, the different contraction rates of the two peices may break it loose.

Good luck... I've had to do this a few times.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Try putting a bolt, or bar, or an old saddle back on the post so you have something to tap, or hammer on.
Then try to jar it loose by hitting up.
Another trick is to take a flat screwdriver and pry the slot apart in the seat tube.
It won't take much to get some space.
They can be persistent but be patient and stick with it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didn't have much patience, as you see cut the head off, and from 2 sides cut with hacksaw blade. did a little bit damage to the frame, not serious tho...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Next time:

If you have a solid work bench with a bench vise on it you can clamp the seat post in the vise and use the bike as leverage turning the frame around until the galvanized bond breaks free.

Or you can use a hacksaw and hammer like Fred Flintstone.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to everybody!
now i just need to get a new post. the ones from my mountain bikes don't fit, i don't wanna hammer it down))))

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Must. . .Not. . .Take. . .The. . .Bait. . .

:hate:
I thought that if anyone would bite it would be knee. Heh heh heh.

·
73 Posts
thanks to everybody!
now i just need to get a new post. the ones from my mountain bikes don't fit, i don't wanna hammer it down))))
The size of the post you need should be stamped in to the old post near the minimum insertion/maximum height mark?

If not, take the old post to your local IBD and they will be able to measure the old and supply a new post of the correct size :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts