Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I'm really new at this forum and with bikes. I need some advise.

I bought a 98/99 GT LTS 1000 DS with Spin wheels recently. I really dont know what to look for when buying a used bike. The bike looked and rode ok around the block until my first trail ride. I realized the bike shifts but makes shifting noises even after it shifted. So with this, I took it to a LBS to have it cleaned, inspected, and tuned up. The LBS I took it to said the bike is really old and my drive train/groupset is worn. Front derailer is wobbly and gear teeth aren't sharp. The LBS advised me to ride it til summer's end and consider getting a new bike instead of getting a new groupset and fixing it.

With all of these, should I

1) change and upgrade the groupset and keep & maintain the bike or

2) sell the bike, if it is marketable and for what price, and get a new bike?

I originally bought the bike to get in to doing trails and gradually shift to xc with a few downhills for fun.

Thanks!

Below are a few pics of the bike

Attachments

·
215 Posts
It's difficult to say the least to try to tell you about the bikes condition without seeing it. But typically if the front derailleur is having problems making the shift and it's because chain gear is worn then why replace the derailleur? Because it's wobbly? what the heck does that mean? Does it need to be tightened? A front derailleur can be found for $35 new! A chain ring maybe $20? I would replace the chain ring and see what happens.

Also I noticed you have the chain in the wrong position in your photos. Look at your rear gear cluster and notice what gear your chain is on...you're on the lower half of the cluster; now look at your front gears, wheres your chain? It's on the inside gear ring. You're cross chaining your chain, this will make the transmission system rough not to mention wear out your chain and gears faster. If you're in your lower half of your rear cluster then you need to be on your largest front chain ring, if you're on your upper half of your rear cluster then you should be in your second front gear ring. The only time you go into your smallest chain ring in the front is if your in your largest two rear gears. I hope that made sense.

It appears that the rear gear cluster is worn on the middle gears so that may need to be replaced. And if your replacing all the gears there's a good chance the chain is worn.

Anyway getting new bike or spending maybe $150 in parts and labor is kind of silly, you can't get a new bike anywhere near that level of components you have for less then $1,000! Shimano XTR components are fairly rugged and last a long time so I doubt there's anything wrong with the components. I suggest taking the bike to a different LBS if you can't do the work yourself, it sounds like you got one of those elitist shops where your a low life if you don't buy new bike and buy it from them. You don't want a shop like that working on your bike.

·
215 Posts
That bike was their top of the line full suspension model, can't tell in the photos if that model as the same name, but the newer ones are now Gravity, these sell for around $1500, but this is not the same Gravity full suspension that Bikes Direct sells, they sell a cheaper version for $500 that comes with crappy components with a lower quality frame and suspension system. The version the OP has was rarely exported to America from what I can tell, and was used by MTB racers...that one the op has doesn't look like it was abused in that manner but again that's going by photos.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
That bike was their top of the line full suspension model, can't tell in the photos if that model as the same name, but the newer ones are now Gravity, these sell for around $1500, but this is not the same Gravity full suspension that Bikes Direct sells, they sell a cheaper version for $500 that comes with crappy components with a lower quality frame and suspension system. The version the OP has was rarely exported to America from what I can tell, and was used by MTB racers...that one the op has doesn't look like it was abused in that manner but again that's going by photos.
Did you smoke your breakfast? That's like saying that the Beretta 92FS is not the same as the Beretta that Chevrolet sells. The GT Gravity is a model from GT. The Bikesdirect Gravity is just one of their house brand bikes. Not sure why you would bring that up, since no one is likely to confuse the two.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If it were me, the only concern is that it's a 13-14 year old bike anyway you slice it. So in the respect I'd be hard pressed to spend too much money on it. You certainly wouldn't want to go buy a new XTR groupset for it. That would probably cost far more than you paid for the bike. And honestly the technology has changed enough over the years that a reasonably priced Deore group or similar is probably the same quality (if not better) than what's on it.

Having said all that, the bike appears to have been well cared for so assuming the front fork and shock are in serviceable condition the bike is certainty worth some drive train work. I'd start with a new front derailleur (about $30) and go from there.

·
215 Posts
Did you smoke your breakfast? That's like saying that the Beretta 92FS is not the same as the Beretta that Chevrolet sells. The GT Gravity is a model from GT. The Bikesdirect Gravity is just one of their house brand bikes. Not sure why you would bring that up, since no one is likely to confuse the two.
I don't smoke, but my brains are smoky.

I brought that up because I knew someone else might not knowing that the two were different as you so well pointed out. I think someone would have, could of, confused the two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts