Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place for an introduction.
Been biking all of my life,(naturally).
I'm posting here because I need an unbiased opinion of the best low cost off-road bike, I live in a very rugged, remote place and I'm looking to buy a good mountain bike this summer to do some fairly gnarly downhill and general transport.
Any advice would be much appreciated, also...

maybe later I'll upload some pics of my area and if you are looking for a good place in NM to do some trial biking maybe we can meet-up.

looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for everything,
Jess.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Low cost and gnarly downhill don't generally go together. Your budget as well as bike skills and fitness will dictate what kind of balance you can find between affordable and durable. I've taken a hardtail XC bike through some nasty stuff, but only because I would rather ride a lightweight bike and go slower through the rough stuff than lug a heavy bike all over the mountains, just so I can bomb back down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a newb, but I can still say welcome to the forum, haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do have a point there, there is a line between advantageously cheep and dis disadvantageously dangerous, I was thinking of a Schwinn but, it brings back to mind the cruiser I had when I was 14, the bracket that was supposed to hold on the handle bars striped in the middle of a 45 degree gravel hill (still have the scar.)
that aside what's your experience with them? are there better and worse Schwinn models, or are they really not what they used to be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
glad you are here... what is your budget?
Glad you're here too, and glad to hear it.
Probability $200-$300, I think I'll save the gnarly stuff for another time.

What do you like personally?

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Why not try looking around for a good used bike? sure you can get some killer deals out there for ones someone bought and don't use anymore

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Why not try looking around for a good used bike? sure you can get some killer deals out there for ones someone bought and don't use anymore
That's definitely what the consensus seems to come to,
You hit the nail right on the head, been scanning eBay and CL for some deals, I'll probably find the right wheels soon enough, thanks for the help.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Keep us posted when you get your ride take some pics would love seein what ya got good luck Mate

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, I see you're in Alabama, were you affect by these tornadoes?
Personally I wasn't, some family lost their house. I live about two hours from Tuscaloosa and Phil Campbell, and there around 200 dead in those areas, so it was really close.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Nigal, he said rugged, remote, and downhill. No place for a 29er. Silly.
He said he LIVED in a rugged remote area and that he was going to use it for "some fairly gnarly downhill and general transport.". It all depends on what "fairly gnarly" really means I guess. I stand by my suggestion sir. LOL!

·
173 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Good people here & not afraid to help when they can. Have been in
your area working. Your right, rugged wilderness in & around the canyon & Sandia Peak!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My condolences and regards to your family,
Stay safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He said he LIVED in a rugged remote area and that he was going to use it for "some fairly gnarly downhill and general transport.". It all depends on what "fairly gnarly" really means I guess. I stand by my suggestion sir. LOL!
You know some where in between deficient and maximum "gnarlitude"

Some pretty tame down hill, the occasional rockjump.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome aboard!! Good people here & not afraid to help when they can. Have been in
your area working. Your right, rugged wilderness in & around the canyon & Sandia Peak!!
I'm actually closer to AZ, pretty rad high mesa land

1 - 20 of 88 Posts