Hey Im really new to Cycling

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Drcharen, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Drcharen

Drcharen New Member

Well My name is Dan and I'm from Bucks County, Pa. But I go to school at Ohio State so I'm in Columbus, Oh most of the year. I don't actually own nor have i ridden on a road cycle. I play golf for Ohio State, and many of the pros on tour now ride as their primary form of cardio and exercise. So I have decided to look into it. It seems so peaceful to be out on the road. I really could use some help with information pertaining to cycles or anything in the cycling world really. I have begun to look into different types of bikes but don't know what I'm looking at. I don't really have much money to spend on a bike but would like to get started the right way. Looking forward to learning a lot more and meeting some good people!

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Welcome Dan. I ride 10 miles a day Rx by my Hart DR it takes me 55 minets and I think it gives me a good workout. as for a bike look on craigslist.org you can find some good buys. I would look at a hybrid if your not going off roading My .02

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Dan, as you make this decision, feel free to ask any specific questions you have. We like to help!

4. Drcharen

Drcharen New Member

To be honest I have no idea where to begin. All I know is that Cycling is one of THE best exercises you can do. Im very fit to start. 5'10 175lbs. During the school year I am in the weight room 4-5 days a week at 630am working out whether it be 2/3 cardio days or 2/3 lifting days. I am looking at this as a way to lean out a little more. I love watching the different Tours on tv and have become very intrigued by riding. I would love to gather information about what types of bikes to look at. Lance was just in Columbus today with Pelotonia riding from Ohio State to Ohio U in Athens, OH. and wish i could have taken part.

5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

There are some really informative threads and people here, not me, but a lot of them, don't be afraid to ask and look at some of the on going threads about different aspects of cycling.

Dean, where are the old threads that haven't had recent posts? I suppose I should use the search button at the top...

DrB

6. Drcharen

Drcharen New Member

Well i started to do some research combing through the more popular brand names for bikes and i never realized how much some of these cost. The Trek 1.1 has an msrp of $659.99. is this a pretty good bike o start out on?? Are there other solid option under the $600 level?

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

When I was looking earlier this spring. I found a Scott Aspect 55. It was $560 and it was a nice bike. They all are going to be about the same in that price level. You will get more bike if you go with a hardtail instead of a full suspension.

$550-$600 is about as low as you want to go for a good bike. Below that and you are not getting a very good bike and the components are low end. If it is all you have then go ahead and get a cheap bike to ride until you can afford better. Don't let a fancy paint job and shiny parts fool you into spending more than you have. If nothing else and you are not sure. Write down the information on the bike, components etc and come here for assistance.

Remember in the end it is up to you and if the bike is in your price range and feels good when you ride it and you like it then get it. If nothing else it will get you on a bike and give you an idea with that bike what works for you and what doesn't

8. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Being new to bikes as well and one who rides for fitness I can share what I have learned over the last four months. I am much older that you 56, ride 10-15 miles daily but very little roadside. Mostly sidewalks, some hard packed gravel, crossing grass, etc. I discoverd after starting that I LIKE Riding! Lost 60 pounds, dropped my two BP meds, and got a new activity do do with my wife and grandson.

First is that the bike needs to fit you or you are wasting your cash. Next is where you are riding. Sidewalks, dirt, crossing curbs, etc.

I would highly recomend making a visit to your LBS. If I had just done that my first two bikes would have not been purchased.

Buy the best your budget will afford. No matter what you get, you will want a better one.

9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I was looking for a hybrid and found a low end Cannondale MSRP $465 Quick 6 on craigslist it was 2 months old and looks to be in good shape he was asking $300 I offered $200 and took it home I rode the bike and checked it out. so far so good there are a lot of bikes out there that have low miles and have bin treated good if your not in a hurry youl find what you want.
    My .02

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. shiboleth

shiboleth New Member

Craigslist is excellent if you live in a large enough town and particularly if it is a big college town. Wild's story is typical. I have acquired and rebuilt ( I am a former bike mechanic with a lot of bits and pieces floating around) a couple of bikes for around $100 apiece. I gave one to a bikeless friend and shipped the other to my in-laws so I'd have a bike to ride when I visited them. I've got a buddy who uses bikes as his only form of transportation. He knows bikes well and has never paid more than $200 for very cherry used machines in the $800 new class. It takes patience and know how. One possibility is to find someone who knows bikes and get them to help you. Even if you paid them $20 it would be a good deal if you saved several hundred on the bike. My buddy's best scores have been students whose parents bought them a bike for their freshman year which then sat in their apartment and never got used. To do it yourself you would have to know what frame materials are the best and which brands and marques of components will do what you want. Hybrids are meant to be all-around bikes. They will do thirty mile rides without causing too much pain and their slightly fatter tires are ideal for urban environments where one minute you're on a potholed street, then on a sidewalk then on one of those gravel paved bike paths etc. Racing machines are extrememly light, but not quite as tough or forgiving. Trail machines will work in urban environments but the extra weight of a full suspension and the knobby tires vibrating on the pavement may prove distracting. My personal favorite is an aluminum frame hardtail hybrid with a thudbuster seat post. Light enough, strong enough, easy on the butt. Make sure you get a frame that fits you. Normally the distance from the top of the seat to the center of the spindle should be 109% of the distance from you sitzbone to the floor when standing barefoot (this is a rather intimate measurement which cannot be taken by oneself.) You should try to avoid a frame so small that the seatpost is more than 6" out of the seat tube.
    My only advice on technique would be to spin with a cadence of at least 80rpm on the cranks. It may seem strange at first, but it is much more efficient and easier on the joints. I'm still riding at 63. Good luck and remember that we were all newbies once.

11. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Hey and welcome! First I would get a bike fit to know what size you need to be looking for! But that is just me, good luck!