Hi Im Barry from Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Barmy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I've just recently been retired and am looking to get into touring. I'm going to need help in selecting the correct gear to get started. Hopefully I'm fi enough by next summer to cycle across Canada. Any suggestions where to start?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Welcome to the forums! Are you looking to do fully loaded touring, or lighter, "credit card" touring?

3. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Cross Canada Tour

The tour I'm looking at is supported. That is they carry your camping gear and extras in a truck and meet you on a daily basis. Takes about 45 - 50 days with 4 days riding 1 day rest.

4. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Welcome to Two Spoke Barry!

I'm sure you will get all the help you need from the folks here, some pretty good people here.

DrB

5. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I'll take all the advice given

with a :)

6. Barmy

Barmy New Member

I've been looking at a Marinoni, Cannondale, Specialize and Trek. Not sure if I should look a Aluminum/Carbon, Carbon or just Aluminum. Any suggestions?:confused:

7. Industry_Hack

Will there be climbing? What's the pace on a tour like this? Personally, I would look at steel for a long tour, unless titanium is in the budget.

8. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Industry_Hack, why steel for long tour??

DrB

9. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Unless

you call starting from Vancouver and going through the Rockies flat.... I think I would call that hilly (aybe even a mountain or two...););)

Think I'd like to keep the budget around 2K...

10. Industry_Hack

Because I value comfort. Stiff aluminum frames are great for racing, but I prefer something more compliant. Titanium has spoiled me.

If this had a triple, I'd swap the rubber out and tour with it.

11. Barmy

Barmy New Member

Outside

the cross Canada trip, most of my riding will be in the Greater Toronto Region...The biggest hill in the area is the Niagara Escarpment