Hi My name is Fred

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hazy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Actually my name is not Fred, but my first post was actually a question regarding the meaning of the term "Fred" and upon finding the meaning realized I may fit :eek:

Anyway,

Just got in here to properly introduce myself and say hey. Wont bore "yawl" (my country accent :)) with details so....

Later,

Hazy

2. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

are you the type of fred with equipment way beyond your riding level or the type that is not all lycrad up but just likes to spin....
    either way welcome and hope to hear more from you.
    i ride serious and then just to get out and spin... also to get from place to place like home to work and back again.
    anyways keep spinning.....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

3. IndianBikes

IndianBikes New Member

Hi and welcome to the site. Share your ideas with us.

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi from the Swamps of South Jersey I guess you could call me a Fred but old fred would be better. I ride what I want, I ride where I want and I wear what I want. But most call me Bud

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I see you're in IN now, so I take it your country accent originated somewhere else. Welcome!

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I guess this will be the "official" welcome. WELCOME!!
    Don't feel bad Haze, I sound like a redneck that could be from North Carolina or an Okie, confused accent, people ask all the time where I'm from.

7. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Not really, I was born and raised in rural southern Indiana.:)

Probably reinforced by my living in Nashville, Tn for 4 years as well :)

Hazy

8. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Too new at this to have a real inventory of clothing/equipment after just recently buying my first road bike, which is nice but not even close to pro model. So I guess I am the latter type so far. :D

I ride a Trek 820 Mtn bike for commuting and camping and just bought the Felt Z85 for training and organized ( or unorganized :) )events (non-racing) that I hope to enter in when I get my riding legs under me.

Thanks for the welcome and the comment on my bike SprocketGirl.

Hazy

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

welcome... keep in touch

10. IndianDrivesBikes

IndianDrivesBikes New Member

11. thecyclops

thecyclops one eyed member

Oh,please explain Sprocketgirl...What is fred? Im not all lycrad up either...Im confused here,please help:eek:

12. thecyclops

thecyclops one eyed member

OH,just seen the fred link..."a “Fred” is a cyclist who has a ton of cycling gear, especially of the utilitarian “uncool” kind, like mirrors, powerful lights, fenders, bells/horns, heavy leather seats, racks, reflective gear, bags, baskets, etc. The gear and bike may be put together by kludgey homemade solutions, like duct-taped flashlights to the handlebar. This type of Fred is a bike geek who likes/needs lots of gear (even if it is modified stuff not intended for bikes) that a racer would never use, no matter what roadie cyclists or others think. Sacrificing some, or ignoring completely, concerns of speed or traditional roadie/sport cyclist style, these type of Freds are more concerned with practical concerns like comfort, safety, versatility, maintenance, being able to quickly transition to time and culture on/off the bicycle, etc. Freds of this type can be well aware of their fredness, once they are aware of the concept, and often embrace it wholeheartedly." LOL,Besides the horns,fenders or heavy leather seats,thats me to the T.Wow,just realized much my jamis has changed since I got it :)