High visibility riding gear

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Feb 4, 2010.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have started getting a colection of Hi-Vis yellow rideing gear my thinking is if thay run me over thay can't say, well he was wearing that dark color and I did not see him. But I see a lot of riders in all black and evean camo do you think that thay are as easy to see. I started wearing this Hi-Vis after a guy ran a stop street on me and I don;t know how he mised me, he was right there I could allmost feel the bumper.
    So what do you wear and what are your thaughts on color and being visable to drivers.

2. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Most all of my jerseys are bright colored, and my bike is a bright red. I didn't do this on purpose, but I think there is truth in the idea that I am seen better then others on the road. I did recently pick up a bright yellow/green Pearl Izumi windbreaker, but again; it really wasn't because of visibility...I got a really good deal on it. I was given a reflective vest by a concerned love one a couple of months ago, and I would wear it during low light situations, but I haven't had any yet.

I am not too selfconscious about what I wear on the bike, so I figure if it comes in a bright color, more likely it would be safer for me to wear. Whether that is a scientific statement, I don't know.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

For daytime or night riding?

5. wild

The wife don't let me ride after dark and when she dose let me ride I have to wear a tag with my address so thay know where to drop the body. You know no body no insurance $$$

By the way any one know where I can get a Hi-Vis yellow Hawaian shirt.:D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Sounds like you need a RoadID.....

7. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

I have seen some fluorescent neon-colored fishing shirts, but no Hawaiian ones in hi-vis colors.

8. wild

Thanks on the ID,
    Now how about some help on the Hi-Vis yellow hawaiian shirt, fishing shirt maybe :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  9. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider