Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1917 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread where we list the highlight of our rides for the day. I'll start.

This morning's ride highlight: 6:19 AM, mile 16, daylight just breaking. A coyote ran along beside me about 10 feet off the road for around 30 seconds. It was a pretty one, too.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Morning pre-work training ride. Managed to consistently Tap about 35 inches. (A tap is like a bunnyhop, but you allow the front wheel to hit just below the edge you're getting up on as you jump. This helps transfer forward momentum into vertical). This has move has eluded me for a while (i.e. years) it's nice to be getting it down.

Riding a couple times a week is making a huge difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My ride this morning was uneventful yesterday I finally got aminal control to make my neighbor lock up his pit bull. The last week has been scary. Nothing like having to deal with a dark colored dog before daylight.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My ride this morning was uneventful yesterday I finally got aminal control to make my neighbor lock up his pit bull. The last week has been scary. Nothing like having to deal with a dark colored dog before daylight.
Yep. Especially one of those. Mine this morning was some very hairy, white dog that reminded me of Sam Sheepdog. He's usually pretty nice, but this morning he was running after me and barking, so it was a good opportunity for some interval work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My highlight today was not getting hit, no wait- that's every day!

For real though-- I would have to say that today's highlight was listening to the wind rush by on my downhill home. Today was my first ride since starting the reno on my Schwinn, so it was nice to see that my work paid off. My last ride was filled with a cacophony of noises- squeaks, rattles, crunching, etc. "Silence is golden"!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Seen red fox but it distracted me for a second at a corner i looked up the hill all clear then down hill all clear went to make turn and fox ran out it distracted me and i didn't see the car almost got ugly.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
4/14/11 2pm went for a ride, I did 27.7 miles and it was realy nice to be out on the bike on such a nice day. The legs were not working as good as I would have wanted but I am 66. I think I may nead some days off, last week my rides were 12, 43, off, 35, 10,16, 27.7 miles. I just like being on the bike.

·
1,355 Posts
I thought I would start a thread where we list the highlight of our rides for the day. I'll start.

This morning's ride highlight: 6:19 AM, mile 16, daylight just breaking. A coyote ran along beside me about 10 feet off the road for around 30 seconds. It was a pretty one, too.
Sounds kind of picturesque. As the sun comes up over the horizon a cyclist and a coyote traveling down the road together. Once I was out on a ride on a lonely country road head down, peddling hard when I felt a slight bump. I looked back and I had ridden over a snake. I don't know if he was crossing the road or just laying there sunning, but I did not go back to check on his condition.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Probably better you didn't see it. I've had this happen before, and yes I ran over the snake only the snake wasn't touched. I saw it and the old country boy in me immediately knew it was a water moccasin. I grabbed both brakes to stop hard. Front one caught, the back one failed. Both me and the bike went directly over the top of the snake without the snake having the slightest concern for my condition after my crash. Of course most of my friends saw it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been seeing a lot of copperheads (more than usual, for sure) this year. Really the only snakes I have seen so far.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
No snakes of the dangerous variety in New Hampshire. Kinda glad for it... not so found of the skinny little boogers.

Also no morning ride today... it's a rest day. Gonna get a long practice ride in tomorrow on the new demo set.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
being home after travel for work, the ride this morning was great. the highlight came toward the top of my climb. as i stood to gain back some lost speed due to a snack, i noticed that i was not tired or working hard and only had about a mile of climb left. i decided to sprint through the cool mountain air that seemed to will me forward. due to the sprint i reached the summit at the same time as three riders coming from the other side of the mountain. after chatting with them for a minute and hearing them praise me for coming up the steeper side. (this felt good as they were older gentleman with much more riding experience than me) i had company for the trip down the mountain, one of their wives was picking them up at the bottom and giving them a ride back around the mountain to Prescott and home. it was nice to take a ride with company that i almost always ride alone. the best part is we have planned a ride for next Friday morning.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Went to Washington Park and back for my morning ride. 20 miles.
4 times around the park and 3 miles out 3 back. It is nice as it is closed to cars in most places.
It was cold though, at 35*.
Washington Park in Denver was rated by Runners World Mag as "America's Best place to run". so it is pretty busy(has a bike only path) and a lot of ...sight seeing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ditched the commute home. Just kept going. It rained for the first part of this week and is supposed to rain all weekend so I figured "why the heck not?". Ended up adding almost ten miles. Not to shabby for a n00b on his way home from work if I say so myself :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My rides the past few weeks have been full of wildlife. Mostly of the Wild Turkey variety as it is their breeding season and the Tom's have been strutting their stuff as of late.

Just about hit a squirrel chomping on nuts on the road the other day as it decided to back track in front of me. That could have been bad for both of us.:eek:

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
My rides the past few weeks have been full of wildlife. Mostly of the Wild Turkey variety as it is their breeding season and the Tom's have been strutting their stuff as of late.

Just about hit a squirrel chomping on nuts on the road the other day as it decided to back track in front of me. That could have been bad for both of us.:eek:
beware of Jedi Squirrels

1 - 20 of 1917 Posts