Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 40 years of at times pretty serious cycling on the road, why was it that there was just some gradients I could never properly get to grips with? I could do very steep, I could do long and shallow rises, but some, somewhere in the middle of the extremes, I struggled to ever find the right gear and it was sometimes touch and go whether I would make it up them. (They are all like that now). Anybody else experience this?:confused:

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I can do long, and I can do the continuous rollers for miles. I don't do steep well at all. I'm absolutely done after about 4 or 5 minutes.

There was one this spring, crawling out of the Missouri River Valley in Defiance MO where I couldn't even push the bike up the hill alone. I was walking, pushing at the handle bars and needed my wife to push at the back of the bike to make up the last 50 ft.

·
600 Posts
After 40 years of at times pretty serious cycling on the road, why was it that there was just some gradients I could never properly get to grips with? I could do very steep, I could do long and shallow rises, but some, somewhere in the middle of the extremes, I struggled to ever find the right gear and it was sometimes touch and go whether I would make it up them. (They are all like that now). Anybody else experience this?:confused:
Sounds like you need an autobike! :D

·
889 Posts
I can do long, and I can do the continuous rollers for miles. I don't do steep well at all. I'm absolutely done after about 4 or 5 minutes.

There was one this spring, crawling out of the Missouri River Valley in Defiance MO where I couldn't even push the bike up the hill alone. I was walking, pushing at the handle bars and needed my wife to push at the back of the bike to make up the last 50 ft.
It's all about riding within your limits and keeping yourself from blowing up.

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
It's all about riding within your limits and keeping yourself from blowing up.
That's VERY hard to do sometimes especially on a group ride...least ways for me :)

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Sixty,

It was an unbelievably steep hill at the top, and we were pushing about 55-60 lbs of loaded touring bike. If my wife weren't there, I'd have to had take off the bags and make a couple of trips. We discovered later that had we turned up the hill two blocks earlier, we could have ridden up a much gentler grade.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
LarryM said:
Sixty,

It was an unbelievably steep hill at the top, and we were pushing about 55-60 lbs of loaded touring bike. If my wife weren't there, I'd have to had take off the bags and make a couple of trips. We discovered later that had we turned up the hill two blocks earlier, we could have ridden up a much gentler grade.
That is still beast of you for trying with all that load. Wish I had any steep hills to test my metal. I do think you need to find that limit and gauge how close you are to it at any time and pace. As rola said group rides can make it difficult to match limits to the groups pace. But hey, we are all on the bike to get strongrt right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts