History and Culture by Bicycle project for the year.

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Feb 14, 2011.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

I have decided on the big history and culture by bicycle project I am going to do for 2011. It is going to be Michigan. More specifically historical sites ranging from Whitefish Point to Paradise, to St. Ignace, Mackinaw City, Mackinac Island and Grand Rapids.

Some of the sites will include, but are not limited to the ship wreck museum, light houses, the Big Mac. bridge among many others. I am going to be there to photograph and research as much as I can for 7 days in June.

Once I return home it will take about a month to put it all together and publish the blog posts.

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

3. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Sounds like a nice trip. Will it be by bike or car?

About 10 years ago my wife and I drove our car around Lake Michigan photographing light houses. It was a great vacation.

4. SUX VR40 Rider

We, my wife, her mom and myself are driving to Mackinaw City. I have a 2 day bike ride event I am taking part in. The 1st day is 25, 50, 75 and 100 miles. The 2nd is the ride across the bridge. This is one of a few times of the year bicycles are allowed on the bridge and to do the bridge ride participants have to do the ride the day before.

I will have a unique perspective of the bridge from my bike. Look at my avatar to see what kind of bike I ride. As such I am able to easily take photos of the bridge, with the camera set to action to prevent blurring, while safely keeping control of my bike. I have gotten really good at it.

The sites in Mackinaw City, St. Ignace, Whitefish Point and Paradise will be traveled to by motor vehicle. Mackinac Island on the other hand does not allow motor vehicles. I will take my bike with me on the ferry so I can ride around the island. My wife and her mom will take the horse drawn taxi service to get around the island.

The blog site I post to does not mean I have visited 100% of the sites by bicycle. It is actually about 90% The point of it is they could easily be visited by bicycle vs. motor vehicle.

Here is the main link:
    History and Culture by Bicycle

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well I used to live in Springfield Mi, (just the other side of the sign post of Battle Creek) and now live in the Ft Worth Tx area (about an hour from Plano) and there is one thing I have learned. If you cycle in Michigan, unless its August always carry the heaviest coat you own. In August you can get by with the second heaviest, and never jump in Lake Michigan. The second thing about Michigan is that either the road is so rough from all the winters that its pothole heaven, or its under construction and no one is going anywhere.

6. rola643

Attached Files:

7. rola643

Annnnnd now it's working :)

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Bob Chandler is a folk hero. I'm not a fan of the trucks really, but he's a world class nut job, which I approve of.

9. SUX VR40 Rider

Here is my most recent history and culture blog post. Please note I am changing the title a bit, got rid of the "Part (number)" I will furhter change the title of the next one by leaving out the "History and Culture by Bicycle" and just have the name of the subject of the post.

Enjoy: History and Culture by Bicycle: Mid American Museum of Aviation and Transportation

There are bicycles at the museum, one of which I donated. There will be an upcoming post about the classic bikes in the next week or so.

10. SUX VR40 Rider

I recently researched a manufacturing company that used to be here in Sioux City. The were called Kari Keen Manufacturing Company. One of the things they built were airplanes. Of the less than 100 they manufactured only 3 full size planes are known to exist today.

Enjoy the post:
    Kari Keen Manufacturing Company

11. SUX VR40 Rider

Blogger is currently down and all posts since this past Wednesday have been temporarily removed. If you try to click on the link to my recent blog posts they are currently not available. Blogger says things will be back to normal soon. I'll believe that when I see it.

12. SUX VR40 Rider

Blogger is back up but the geniuses there made my blog post on the Kari Keen a draft, which it was at one time, without the most recent changes saved to it. I have to redo it and republish it. This is going to take me an additional 3 to 4 hours to fix.

13. SUX VR40 Rider

After 5 hours of recreating and republishing the Kari Keen post it is finally re-ready. Here it is: Kari Keen Manufacturing

14. SUX VR40 Rider

15. SUX VR40 Rider

Art anyone?

Sculpt Siouxland

Working on a post about a historic school that will be torn down in less than a month.

16. SUX VR40 Rider

17. SUX VR40 Rider

18. SUX VR40 Rider

In less than a month I will be in Michigan on vacation conducting my large history and culture by bicycle project for the year. I hope you have all enjoyed the smaller projects I have posted so far. There will be a few smaller projects in the next few weeks before I leave for vacation.

After my vacation and I post about the history and culture of the areas of Michigan I will visit things will taper off a bit unless something comes up that I can post about.

19. SUX VR40 Rider

I just reviewed all of the sites and events I am going to visit and take part in while on vacation. There is the potential for up to 20 new history and culture blog posts when I come back.