Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods-

If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it....

Question for the Kollective. I'm looking at purchasing a new rack for the ca and am looking for some input (not anonymous internet reviews but real-world insight).

I'm no longer able to use my roof rack and would like to go with a hitch-mount tray type of rack since my wife's hybrid lacks a top tube (and I despise those pseudo clamp-on tubes for transport). I've narrowed it down to a Yakima, Thule and Saris. My roof set-up is a Thule with two 594XTs, I use these so I do not have to remove the front wheel and would like to stay with this design for the tray mount.

Being able to fold up against the rear of the car is a requirement, I know the Saris and Yakima racks do this, not sure about the Thule.

Any have, had or can say anything about these tray racks? Teh Saris is known as the "Ride-On" and my google-fu is weak at the moment for the names of the Thule and Yakima.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I got nut'n :D I have Thule and the same with my wife's hybrid, no top tube on one her bikes. I like the Thule it folds up nicely and fits in the trunk of her car ( her car has a smaller trunk) when we travel with it. The Thule folds down so we can access the trunk with out removing the rack. Mine is a couple years old now but it's a 4 bike rack...kinda a waste as it turns out but it has worked well.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I have had a Saris Cycle On rack since 2005 and can't say enough good things about the rack and Saris customer service.

The rack is extremely easy to use ... just lift the bike 2 feet up and it's on the rack. The rack has seen a lot of cross country miles in all kinds of weather. Saris products have a lifetime guarantee. A part on one of the arms rusted in 2009 and they had a new arm to me within 48 hours.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
I bought a Saris Thelma 2 for use on the back of the wife's vehicle. It works really well for bikes that do not have (front) fenders. I also had to fabricate a hitch extender to keep it from hitting the bumper cover on her Nissan Rogue but I think that was more a problem with the hitch design than the rack itself.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mods-

If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it....

Question for the Kollective. I'm looking at purchasing a new rack for the ca and am looking for some input (not anonymous internet reviews but real-world insight).

I'm no longer able to use my roof rack and would like to go with a hitch-mount tray type of rack since my wife's hybrid lacks a top tube (and I despise those pseudo clamp-on tubes for transport). I've narrowed it down to a Yakima, Thule and Saris. My roof set-up is a Thule with two 594XTs, I use these so I do not have to remove the front wheel and would like to stay with this design for the tray mount.

Being able to fold up against the rear of the car is a requirement, I know the Saris and Yakima racks do this, not sure about the Thule.

Any have, had or can say anything about these tray racks? Teh Saris is known as the "Ride-On" and my google-fu is weak at the moment for the names of the Thule and Yakima.

Thanks in Advance.
Go with the Thule. The tray style they now manufacture originally came from a company called Sportworks. Sportworks used to make tray style racks for conventional motor vehicles, like yours and mine, as well as racks for mass transit vehicles, like city buses, trains, etc. Now they only build them for mass transit vehicles.

Shortly after I purchased my recumbent I purchased my Sportworks rack, with a single tray, before they switched to just mass transit vehicles. When we purchased my wife's recumbent that increased to a second tray. My wife no longer rides her recumbent and we sold it, but still have both trays. Sportworks is a modular design that bolts together so I only use the one tray, the other is a backup hanging in the garage. I have never had a problem with my Sportworks tray style rack.

I know several people who have purchased the Thule tray style racks and have had the same experience with theirs as I have had with mine. Durable, reliable, providing years of service at transporting their bicycles.

Something that speaks of the durability is the main piece of steel tubing the rack is constructed with can take a heck of an impact. I had some fool rear end me and they hit the rack, when it was folded down with my bike on it. No damage to my bike or the rack. But it did punch a nice square and v shaped dent/hole in the front of their vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses.

I ruled out the Yakima, there is documented evidence of recurring problems that have not been corrected over the span of a few years. The Saris and Thule will probbaly be it, I've heard of great customer service from Saris and robust design from Thule.

The one thing I like about the Thule (not sure if the Saris does this) is that you can pivot it down, away from the car to access the trunk or/hatch. Does the Thelma fold up against the vehicle for storage?

I looked at the Thelma, but wasn't sure I liked the design. I'll do some more shopping around before I make a decision.

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
The one thing I like about the Thule (not sure if the Saris does this) is that you can pivot it down, away from the car to access the trunk or/hatch. Does the Thelma fold up against the vehicle for storage?
The Thelma does fold up for storage.

It does not pivot down but the vertical part of the front wheel tray does fold flat in about 2 seconds and you should be able to open your trunk/hatch without removing the rack.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, I've started shopping around. SWMBO doesn't want a hitch or rack on her car so it will have to go on mine. My car (2010 Jetta) only has fitments for a 1 1/4" receiver so there will not be an option to carry more than 2 bikes on a tray style rack.

Decisions, decisions. . .

·
Seasider
451 Posts
Possibly not fully connected but what the hey.

We have VW new Beetle so a bit limited. No hitch and none wanted. Want a platform style for 2 bikes. Anybody got any thoughts on this:

Thule 9003 Raceway platform?

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Raceway-Platform-2-Bike/dp/B0095MK62Q

One bike is a ladies with no top tube.....

Thanks

·
1,084 Posts
The only personal experience I have with the flat style racks is the 1 day we had one when we first bought our bikes.

We carted them home on the rack, and I attempted to back into my driveway. Took about 30 seconds to realize that the height from the ground that far from the vehicle relative to the slope of my drive wasn't going to work.

bear in mind, that you're going to need to make sure that you have the proper clearance when approaching hills, driveways, speedbumps etc to not bottom the end of the rack out.

This can still apply with some of the adaptable post mounts as well (2" & 1-1/4" capable), but the additional issue that you can run into with post racks on cars (such as the case with our civic) is that a larger or highly sloped frame can place the wheels of the bike within that same perilous situation. I have to pull the front tire off of my bike when using our post rack on our civic.

in all fairness though, I have a relatively steep driveway (approx 40' long with a 12' elevation change... i can't walk easily on it in snow, even with ice cleats)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have the Saris Thelma bike rack it holds 2 bikes it works great I use it on my 2012 Prius and the best part is gas mileage is still around 50 mpg It fits either 1 1/4 or 2" receiver. Takes about 30 seconds to fasten the bike and has a setting for 29ers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts