Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went and baught a bike that was in the paper for $15 I wanted the rims. Then I had an idea come to me I could make a truing stand from the rear triangle. Out came the sawsall and grinder and A litle triming. Below is what I came up with. I will make an ajustable pointer and weld that on. I cut the brace between the stays and the plate on the bottom so I can get a 700x rim in there. I used a clamp and a pointer and did this rim, it worked better than I thaught it would. So don't throw away that old frame make a truing stand. :D

I allso picked up this trek 7100 at a yard sale the outher day for $40 it still has the nipels on the tires. It was just the size for her 15 she does not like the color I told her if she took it to the bike shop and $400 she could get a different color. I am kicking my self in the a$$ for not buying the steel road bike $40 that was forsale with the one I baught for $40 allso and it was in real good shape, :rolleyes:I went back after thinking about it , it was gone:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That's a great idea for the truing stand! I like the PVC bike rack too.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Zing!!! Great idea that I will steal from you!:thumbsup: Thanks

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not use the fork?
I did not use the fork because it was to hard to get it opean enough for the rear hub, I would have to make a way to ajust it wider. The rear triangle seams more flexable in and out. I might cut more off the frame to make it evean more flexable, but an ajustable pointer so it will do different size rims and in and out is my next thing to work on.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is my PVC fold away bike work stand, I use an old seat post thrugh the tee to hold the bike, the cupling makes it easy to lift and atach the bike to the stand. I had to put aluminum pipe inside the pvc to hold the wifes cruser bike

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
I went and baught a bike that was in the paper for $15 I wanted the rims. Then I had an idea come to me I could make a truing stand from the rear triangle. Out came the sawsall and grinder and A litle triming. Below is what I came up with. I will make an ajustable pointer and weld that on. I cut the brace between the stays and the plate on the bottom so I can get a 700x rim in there. I used a clamp and a pointer and did this rim, it worked better than I thaught it would. So don't throw away that old frame make a truing stand. :D

I allso picked up this trek 7100 at a yard sale the outher day for $40 it still has the nipels on the tires. It was just the size for her 15 she does not like the color I told her if she took it to the bike shop and $400 she could get a different color. I am kicking my self in the a$$ for not buying the steel road bike $40 that was forsale with the one I baught for $40 allso and it was in real good shape, :rolleyes:I went back after thinking about it , it was gone:(
The bike stand might be cool, but I was stupid enough to try a home grown maint stand that, in my book, was an epic fail that resulted in the purchase of a Feedback maint stand that I LOVE :)

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like it works to me I bet a fue would like to have a stand like that to work on ther bike.
I have since cut more off my truing stand and welded a ajustable tab and a pointer on, I think it works as good as a store baught.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Since PVC appears to be really popular for making things, I'll throw in my bike rack that I keep in the back of my truck. The modified section on the left was done to accommodate my wife's recumbent tadpole trike. I also cover the uprights with foam pipe insulation to cushion where the spokes touch the rack.

Attachments

·
215 Posts
I made the PVC bike rack for my bikes in the basement to set in instead of leaning them against the walls of the basement.

The truing thing is an interesting idea, but I don't see any purpose if it or a truing stand. I've never owned a truing stand in 40 plus years of adjusting my spokes, all I've ever done is just use the brakes as a guide by simply closing the brakes till they just barely miss the rim then spin the wheel where the pads hit I adjust. I can't adjust the dish that way, so about once every 8 to 10 years I take them in to get the wheels adjusted, and even then they rarely have to do anything to the wheels.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I guess I just like makeing things, but it sure is nice to sit down and true the wheel, I am allso lazy ;) Here is a stand I made to check the tires for glass or lube the chain with out bending down. I did find the legs on the bottom nead to be longer than these.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
215 Posts
@ Sneakers- No need to [email protected] on someone else's post or creativity if you don't see the point and/or agree.

Wild, good on ya. Keep those homebrew projects coming!
I didn't crap on the idea, the guy made a homemade stand, all I said is that you really don't need to that or even buy a real truing stand. Why don't you take some reading comprehension classes. There, now I crapped on you, how does it feel?

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Her is the truing stand with pointer and paint
And a tank for finding leaks made from a boat trailer fender i put a pice of plexi glass to make it higher. I use watter with green food coloring makes the bubbles easyer to see

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts