Homemade Lighting????

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by whyeyebike, Sep 13, 2009.

1. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have seen some videos on YouTube and other locations that show people making their own lights. I am looking at making my own light and mounting it to my road bike. I am looking for something to illuminate the road, not just to be seen. If anyone has any suggestions or links to instructions; all assistance is appreciated.

2. dontcrash

dontcrash Guest

You could go to radio shack and purchase a length of wire, a battery holder, a switch, and a generic light bulb, of the right energy input or whatever, just ask them I guess...

You could get a knob to adjust the resistance if your afraid of burning up the light... then just tape away!

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Get a massive Strobe light. It probably won't help, but every one will look sweet.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Do you have a link to the video you watched of a homemade light?

5. bikermandan

bikermandan Guest

I was thinking more like science class when the kids connect alligator clipped wires to light bulbs then D-cell batteries... I think rope lights would be pretty sweet but not for illuminating the road... It might be tacky but you could duct tape a flashlight onto your handlebars :D

6. bohunker

bohunker Guest

I had the idea of taking a piece of aluminum cutting it to fit on the front right skewer, to illumine the road. Made the alum piece but have not tried it out yet. Will post pic when I can.

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

If you are worried about looking tacky, or worse redneck by using duct tape to tape a flashlight to your handlebars then you should look at other options. Electrical tape is a good idea. It is smooth, sleek and is available in a wide variety of colors.:p

8. berniegreen

berniegreen Guest

Why not use a couple of keychain lights that are super bright?

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Worried about being a redneck??? Me???? What I worry about is finding Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy in my family tree.

Using duct tape is a badge of honor

10. trx1

trx1 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edikfIC-RJU]YouTube - Cheap Bastards Bike Light Mount[/ame]
    or this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUssR7eXG4&feature=fvw[/ame]

11. ThinkBike

ThinkBike New Member

Fellow riders there are literally thousands of DIY light posts over at MTBR.com Forums under Lights DIY. I'm in the process of building a light and have yet to find a more dedicated group of folks that are obsessed with building bike lights.

12. trx1

trx1 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSg42ZbGbw&feature=related]YouTube - ‪LED Light Bike Mount on a budget‬‏[/ame]
    try this

13. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

14. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

He did say that it was a good idea. ;)

15. J_R_Frass_60

J_R_Frass_60 New Member

homemade rear light

I wanted a a bright rear light for night traffic. I had one of those hand held lanterns that take the 6 volt spring top batteries. I bought a red indicating light lens from Radio Shack and glued it over the bulb. I strapped the lantern to my rear rack with bungee cords. I now could be seen for at least 3/4 of a mile.

16. frankj

frankj New Member

Lots of bike light ideas at instructables.com. I've used a couple of Harbor Freight LED lights, works good, clipped into a couple of Blackburn tire pump holders.

17. TuckamoreDew

TuckamoreDew New Member

Here are some detailed instructions on building a pretty powerful bike light:

High Power 3-LED Bicycle Light

I haven't built one myself yet, but I have seen them in action.

18. bobbeuke

bobbeuke New Member

marwi lights

check out Hoffman amps. He has bought the remaining NOS marwi lights from some supplier in the US and is selling them CHEAP. I bought 3 the other day, they are Halogen but he also sells all the parts to convert them to LED's. He has lots of info on his web site and his blog.

I have been able to commute a few times in the dark since I got my light set up from him, and boy are they bright. The battery I am using will last about 2 hrs (homedepot). I even got bright lighted by a car.

here is a parts break down of what I bought

Battery $15 (homedepot)
    wire connector $4 (radio shack)
    wire, heat shrink tubing, tape, spade connectors $5
    6 volt battery charger $10 (Walmart)
    single light set up $8(hoffman amps)
    old style mount $2 (hoffman amps)