Honda chain lube test trial

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by snowbird, Dec 13, 2009.

1. snowbird

snowbird New Member

For motorcycle chain lubricants, the one sold by Honda received one of the best ratings. They rated for lubrication qualities, anti-sling, and resistance to pick up dirt.
    Oil isn't considered for motorcycle chains becauses it slings everywhere and picks up dirt like crazy. The dry "waxes" made for chains don't pick up dirt but also don't lube well.
    The Honda lube is an aerosol with a little straw so you can put it right on the chain. (Good thing becauses it leaves a nasty looking film on things.)

Since I already had a can for my motorcycle, I thought I'd try it on the bicycle chain.
    I cleaned the chain with Simple Green (next time I'll wear rubber gloves) and hosed it down with water to remove the cleaner. Let it dry and sprayed on the chain lube.
    I rode about 60 miles thru the streets & bike trails of Ft. Myers. It was a pretty windy day so the dirt & sand was blowing around pretty good. The lube was still a little tacky so it picked up a few small grains of sand. It's supposed to dry over time so it don't pick up dirt.
    The chain was super smooth and creepy quiet. Like one of those Trex belt drive bicycles.
    I don't know how long the treatment will be effective. I treat my mc chain twice a year so I'd guess once a year for the bike chain.

If you want to try it yourself you can get it at any Honda MC shop for less than $10/can.

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Keep us informed as to how it works. How does it hold up against chain suck and other issues over time? Motorcycles have a lot of power moving the chain and the chain is rather tight compared to a bicycle, no derailleur, no real give, plus it moves much faster. I see a lot of people compare the two and don't see how it can be a fair comparison, so it will be neat to see how a product designed for the one will work for the other.

3. Eurospeed

Eurospeed EuRoSpEeD

Chain Lube

I never tryed that lube! it sounds like heay duty lube.

I got some lube cans from the dollar store and they supprizingly work amazing for bicycle chains and for over all lube.

You should try some it onyl costs $1 dollar, i bought 4 for $4 dollars.

EuroSpeed

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

If it is like most motercycle chain lube and is for O ring chain it is verry thin when it comes out then thickens up. I have went from a waxy type lube to a oilyer one for the cold, seams to be shifting better in the cold

5. Eurospeed

Eurospeed EuRoSpEeD

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Once a year??? I lube after every ride during the season. Jeeez if that really works I'l have to try some. It seems like a conflict of service intentions that it sticks, doesn't fling, lubes well and doesn't attract dust and dirt... and lasts for a year. Sounds too good to be true.

I don't mean to hi jack the thread but while we're on the subject; what is the take on so-called dry lubes.. ice wax.. etc.? I have tried them and I haven't been at all impressed. I am talking road use, dry conditions. I liked the idea of a "clean" dry chain that wouldn't leave ring tatoos on the calf. The chain didn't stay clean and on longer rides (over 60 miles) it started squeaking.

I use regular ATF (automatic transmission fluid) most of the time and if it might rain I use some Road Rage as well.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

All my gang uses is ATF. Good of you to mention this, chh55. It's an old time solution that has no better competition. And it's very cheap. Buy a litre and it will last a decade. Stuff has great lube qualities as one might imagine given the job it's designed for.

Most important thing about chain care is keeping it clean after riding in gritty conditions. Get rid of dirt and any lube with due. ATF just does it the best and the cheapest. Lubing after every ride is not over doing it. Wipe the chain a bit to take some crud and dab some ATF. Maybe once a week, flush chain drive good and relube again.

Good call, chh55.

8. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I have a lot of type "F" ATF fluid. It's left over from when I had a type "Ford" transmission. I use it for a lot of stuff but it seeems to attract a lot of dirt when used on the bike chain. Don't last too long either. That's why I'm trying the mc chain lube.

9. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Tonight when I got in I checked the chain. It was clean and dry and the few grains of sand it'd collected had fallen off. Probably went a hundred miles. But it wasn't quite as quiet as when I first lubed it, so I gave it another shot.
    Honda chain lube is made for a chain sealed with O rings, where the actual lubrication is grease sealed inside with the O rings. I don't know how well it lubricates inside the links. For that matter I don't know how well I cleaned the chain or how much the lube penetrated to the insides of the chain. If I dont get satisfaction with this application, I'll take the chain off, soak it in cleaner, rinse it, dry it with a hair blow dryer, THEN lube it to make sure lubrication gets inside.

10. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Did you find it at a local parts house?

11. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Snowbird are you in a particularly stressful for your bike situation. Have you used other Bike Chain lubes ?

12. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I havn't tried any chain specific lubes. Transmission fluid, motor oil WD-40 etc. It all really caused a lot of gooey buildup.
    I havn't applied any more chain lube since the second application. Chain's still smooth and quiet. It is getting a little dirty on the outside. I'm going to wipe it down with a dry rag. Lube on the outside of the chain does no good at all. Maybe that'll stop the "chain tattoo" on my calf while still leaving enough lube for the chain.
    You can get Honda chain lube at Honda motorcycle shops. I've heard the lube is made by BelRay and rebadged as "Honda" to be sold at Honda shops. You can pretty well bet if it's sold by Honda it's the best on the market. They over engineer everything.

13. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I just relubed my chain. So it lasts about a month, riding most every day doing about 50 miles a day.
    The chain was starting to make a little whiirring shound as it went around. so I figured it was time for more lube. It's smooth and quiet once again.
    So if you need to reapply oil after every ride, I'd say the honda Chain Lube is around 25times better.