Hot or Cold Shower?

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by bicycle_betti, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bicycle_betti

bicycle_betti Guest

What is better for your soothing muscles after exercising? A hot or cold shower?

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

hot vs cold shower

Well, if you are hurting with a lot of sore muscles you might want an ice bath, but my understanding of the physiology tells me a hot shower will be better since it increases blood flow and this dissapates the lactic acid better. Best would be a hot shower followed by a good massage, but that is in a perfect world.

DrB

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I'm far from a Dr. but I've always found hot tubs to be very good at help with back/neck pain.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Oh, how true! I lost mine in the divorce.:(

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Bummer. I see them for sale used on CL all the time. Not sure about a used hot tub though, would need a lot of bleach.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I lost the big house attached to the hot tub too. There's really not enough room in my postage stamp sized back yard for a hot tub anyway. Besides, if I bought another hot tub, that would seriously cut into my bike fund.:eek:

7. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Hot vs cold shower

You BET, the hot tub is the best, not only feels good, it really helps the body to repair, just be careful not to get too ambitious when you get out, can make you pass out....experience talking

DrB

8. Cruso

Cruso Guest

I would think cold water would tense up the muscles more. I would go with warm water.