Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done the Hotter'n Hell Hundred? I am considering doing this in August but would love to get some insight on the ride. I'd look to do the full 100 mile ride. I don't think the heat would be a big training problem as we get extreme heat and humidity where I live. Don't know if I'll be able to get any of my riding buddies to do it with me so curious what the riders are like if you are looking to join up with a group for portions of the race (I'm of course willing to pull my fair share). Where would you stay? How are SAGs? Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
I thought one year I'd like to schedule vacation out in Dallas with my folks and try that ride. Something always seems to come up so I've never made it. I'm sure it would be a hot windy ride :)

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you are right on the wind out there. Heat will be easy to prepare for but our summers tend to not have much wind.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Hot, windy, flat, and one of my few defeats on a bike. I did it around 2006 or 2007. I think they only had 12,000 riders that year. :)

I had a bottom bracket shell separate on my frame a few weeks before the event. At that time, De Rosa was renting bikes at the event for the event. I put one on reserve. When I got it, it was a tank compared to what I was used to and didn't fit me very well.

About Mile 50 I knew I was in serious trouble between the bike, the heat, and not eating enough. I slogged through the next 25 miles, but ended up flagging down a ride.

The heat can be your biggest enemy. Stay hydrated. With the groups, it's easy to fight the wind.

There are plenty of groups to get in. And if you find a snobbish one, drop out and grab another. There shouldn't be a lot, but with so many riders, there is always going to be some egos out.

It was well supported then, and I'm sure it's even more so now.

The hotels did book quick, and I recommend getting one ASAP. I have also heard lately that they are doing packages now, so you are forced to reserve the room for the entire weekend. Also, be aware that many hotels raise their rates for the ride weekend, so it might pay to do some shopping around.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
I have gone to HHH many times since it first started. It is my favorite ride!

The ride is mostly flat, but many times hot and windy.

Joining a group of riders going your pace is not a problem. After the initial first few miles the riders will spread out and separate into many small groups made up of individual riders and a few groups made up of hundreds of riders. You should be very careful in joining groups because those people aren't used to riding together and accidents sometimes happen. The more people in the group, the more likely something will happen.

I usually get there on Friday so I can spend a couple hours and a few dollars in the big trade show. I camp out in a van close to the starting point. Because of the staggering number of riders, they run out of nice hotel/motel rooms months in advance...although some people have been known to share their room with less fortunate riders.

SAG wagons will be everywhere on the course. Most will be pulling flatbed trailers for the bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ I am a little worried about the wreck deal in unfamiliar groups. I have a fraternity brother who rides with a cycling team in Dallas and may see if I can hang with them as they usually participate. I have heard about some of the pile up crashes in the larger groups. I am going to see if I can pull this off in the next week and get signed up...plus find lodging at least for Friday night. I heard the expo is good too. Guess if I end up going, I'll need to bring a few extra $'s! Thanks for the comments.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
The spaghetti dinner Friday night is usually good...just don't get the indelible spaghetti sauce on anything you don't want to be stained forever.

The Expo used to have a bunch of good deals on bikes, parts and clothes, but lately the true "deals" have been few and far between. This year I finally changed out some superb leather biking shoes I bought at the Expo in the mid 1980s for $20. FRISKYette is still using the shoes she bought at the same time. We still have a clamp-in bike rack for a pick-up bed we bought for a song many years ago.

You can usually learn quite a bit about new bike technology at the Expo and symposiums. Some of the tech becomes mainstream, but a lot just fades away.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Still fun to browse around at these big expos even if I don't buy anything. Nice to see a lot under one roof (hopefully). I'll look into the dinner on Friday night.

·
1,728 Posts
I was invited to ride in this last year by some friends in the area, but the work schedule did not work out. This year, however, unless things change the schedule is clear and I am planning at this point to participate in that event. Hopefully by then I will be a little more prepared for the wind.

I've only rode in one event in which there were enough cyclists to get in a pack and ride and it was pretty tight. Any sudden moves would have spelled disaster for sure, but the speeds you can hold are insane.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
The Texas Hotter'n Hell Hundred is this weekend. It is a great ride. Over 13,000 riders last year.

Anyone going?

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
13,000 :eek:. The largest event I have ridden had around 4,500 riders and I thought that was huge. Cyclists were everywhere on that day. I felt sorry for all the drivers on the road (not really) because we outnumbered them for a change. I can't even imagine what that town would look like with 13,000 cyclists all in one place. The funny thing is it was relatively quiet when they sounded the horn to start the event because bikes don't make too much noise or pollution. When you do one of these events, you realize that cycling is not such a fringe sport after all. You see everyone in all shapes and sizes. You have the very young to the young-at-heart and people from all walks of life out riding their bikes. Oh yeah, the bikes, so many interesting and unique bikes that I usually just walk around at these events and try to see as many of them as I could before the start.

I wish I live close enough to attend this event Frisky.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Have fun! And let us know how it was when you get back.....we want to make sure you survive it. <winks> It IS hot out there!

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had really wanted to go this year but could not pull it off because of date conflicts and also waited too long to find any hotel rooms. I'll probably make a decision on doing it next year by the end of this year. Definitely on my list to do though.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
Have fun! And let us know how it was when you get back.....we want to make sure you survive it. <winks> It IS hot out there!
It should be pretty nice this year. The temperature will be in the low 100s with a 20-30mph south wind on Friday and Saturday.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
I had really wanted to go this year but could not pull it off because of date conflicts and also waited too long to find any hotel rooms. I'll probably make a decision on doing it next year by the end of this year. Definitely on my list to do though.
It's even more fun if you do the ride with a group of friends.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
As long as you have the wind, 100+ weather is not bad. We have been up above 100 degrees for a while now and I ride every afternoon, after work. If we didn't have 25+ mph winds, the heat would kill you but the winds make it so nice. Get one of those double water cages that hook under your seat and then the two frame cages and you will have enough water for a long bit of the ride

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
The Texas Hotter'n Hell Hundred is this weekend. It is a great ride. Over 13,000 riders last year.

Anyone going?
Don't think I'm going to make it but I did compromise today. I did the Florida Hotter'n Hell Fortyfour :) with little to no wind. I need a good nap now. :eek:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts