Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
It was 106* in Wichita Falls Texas today with a few wind gusts over 40 mph. Lots of people here already. I bought some new riding clothes, but took them back because they didn't fit right. I also got a little red flashing light for the back of my Giro AEON helmet (the same helmet that they have on sale here for $50 less than what I just paid for mine.) The light actually fits in a slot on the back of the helmet that must have been designed to fit the two together.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
^ Have a good ride today Carl. Stay hydrated.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hope the ride went well. Let us know how it was

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am liking my little swamp better all the time 70* shade cool breeze.

Did you say 106*

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
I'm going to have to sort out how to work in local routes to break up their crazy climbs.

I will figure it all out. The plan is to do a cycling workout in the mornings after I get off work (either on the trainer or on the road) and some kind of full body, kettlebell workout in the afternoon before I go to work so I can start getting ready for some distance rides. I particularly want to ride in Hotter Than Hell this year.
I was invited to ride in this last year by some friends in the area, but the work schedule did not work out. This year, however, unless things change the schedule is clear and I am planning at this point to participate in that event. Hopefully by then I will be a little more prepared for the wind.

I've only rode in one event in which there were enough cyclists to get in a pack and ride and it was pretty tight. Any sudden moves would have spelled disaster for sure, but the speeds you can hold are insane.
Link to the HHH thread on TwoSpoke: http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/hottern-hell-hundred-14813/index3.html

Oops.....Posted on the wrong thread.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure that weekend is going to work based on family plans. I'd really like to do it. Still a chance.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
you guys could do the shiner gasp with me to prepare for hhh. its another 100 miler from austin to shiner. april 25th is the date

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Given the expense to travel and time away from home/work I'm probably going to be lucky for one out of town cycling trip this year. I've heard about that ride and bet it's fun.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
The Texas Hotter'n Hell Hundred is this weekend. It is a great ride. Over 13,000 riders last year.

Anyone going?

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts

·
66 Posts
I will be attempting this ride for the first time. I'm a little nervous about the lack of preparation on my part, but me and a few friends are going anyways.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
Be careful if you did not properly train. I think a dude died on the shiner 100 earlier this year. We passed a group of people with a sheriff and the guy on the road was a weird grey color and face planted and was not moving or anything. The street was probably a bit over 100 degrees and he was laying really weird. The ambulance was coming but that dude really looked bad.

·
66 Posts
Be careful if you did not properly train. I think a dude died on the shiner 100 earlier this year. We passed a group of people with a sheriff and the guy on the road was a weird grey color and face planted and was not moving or anything. The street was probably a bit over 100 degrees and he was laying really weird. The ambulance was coming but that dude really looked bad.

Wow, that sounds scary. I have been riding in temps from 95-102 lately, so I'm hoping I will be fairly accustom to the heat. The farthest that I have ridden so far is 70 miles, I just didn't set any speed record. I am riding with a friend that has ridden the HHH several times and averaged 18 MPH. I was hoping to be in shape to get close to 15, but I don't think I can average that for 100 miles.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You'll get there! I remember my first century we finished a couple seconds under 7 hours. My second century was 6:28 and my third was 6:15. The more you do it the better equipped your body becomes

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Good luck dawg !

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
Wow, that sounds scary. I have been riding in temps from 95-102 lately, so I'm hoping I will be fairly accustom to the heat. The farthest that I have ridden so far is 70 miles, I just didn't set any speed record. I am riding with a friend that has ridden the HHH several times and averaged 18 MPH. I was hoping to be in shape to get close to 15, but I don't think I can average that for 100 miles.

if you have been doing at least 50, you will be ok. just won't be at 18mph, which is fine. i always want to ride fast but someone will ask if i can ride with them because its their first time doing something so my rides always end up being at 12mph and taking however long. its more fun to ride with someone on their first long ride or big event then it is to race anyways.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
Rain..............but it should be cool sleeping tonight.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts