Two Spoke Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
I'm watching you Scotty :)

·
66 Posts
I finished. Clock time was 7:09, chip time was 6:55, riding time was 6:09 with 46 minutes paused. The ride was good and the temperature and wind never got up as high as I had been told that it normally does. For that I am thankful. I'm glad that I rode with a more experienced rider that kept me running a set pace. Early on the course is flat and the temperature was in the 70's, so it would have been easy to take off fast while it felt like I could ride all day. Toward the end of the ride I was glad that I didn't burn my legs out early.

·
66 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. The guys that I ride with are already discussing their goals for next year. By the sound of it I will have to start training now, they are wanting to try and finish in 5 hours.

·
1,728 Posts
I'm watching you Scotty :)
And thank you for that. Seeing the various texts come in checking my location kind of helped keep me going.

I know now my legs are good for 100 miles, though I did have some issues with my feet that I think I have addressed and will verify with some shake down rides.

I never got hooked up with any kind of serious pace group, so most of the ride, while in sight of other cyclist, I rode alone. The couple attempts I made to grab some wheel blew up because the group was really disorganized. To be expected I suppose. The ones that were organized and working well together were the ones setting sub-6 hour and close to 5 our paces which I was certain I could not hold.

I have two more century events scheduled that will kick off in about three weeks and will be back to back weeks with centuries. My thought is that if I can do centuries in that kind of compressed time frame (for me anyway) then its just a bit more focused training to doing back to back centuries. If I can do that, then I will feel pretty set for next years ride.

I know this, though. I am missing something very critical in my training that I need to latch on to. There were local guys that don't work out in the gym or anything like that and just ride and they finished in a bit under 5 hours, 4 hrs 49 min to be exact and it was just a group of three guys.

Though I finished, that was a bit discouraging for me because my gym workouts are specifically focused on cycling. So whatever that missing ingredient is in my training, I need to find out what it is and put it into practice.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
And thank you for that. Seeing the various texts come in checking my location kind of helped keep me going.

I know now my legs are good for 100 miles, though I did have some issues with my feet that I think I have addressed and will verify with some shake down rides.

I never got hooked up with any kind of serious pace group, so most of the ride, while in sight of other cyclist, I rode alone. The couple attempts I made to grab some wheel blew up because the group was really disorganized. To be expected I suppose. The ones that were organized and working well together were the ones setting sub-6 hour and close to 5 our paces which I was certain I could not hold.

I have two more century events scheduled that will kick off in about three weeks and will be back to back weeks with centuries. My thought is that if I can do centuries in that kind of compressed time frame (for me anyway) then its just a bit more focused training to doing back to back centuries. If I can do that, then I will feel pretty set for next years ride.

I know this, though. I am missing something very critical in my training that I need to latch on to. There were local guys that don't work out in the gym or anything like that and just ride and they finished in a bit under 5 hours, 4 hrs 49 min to be exact and it was just a group of three guys.

Though I finished, that was a bit discouraging for me because my gym workouts are specifically focused on cycling. So whatever that missing ingredient is in my training, I need to find out what it is and put it into practice.

Have ever tried the Sufferfest videos ? I made more gains in a few workouts then I did doing anything else, they seemed to work for me.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
I have heard the same thing from others about those videos

·
1,728 Posts
Well, actually, I am going to try and be on Zwift more frequently. While not the Sufferfest, most are reporting very solid gains there. However, there are gains, and then there are gains in which you ride sub 5 hour centuries. I could understand if they were all hitting the gym frequently with hard hitting workouts and then hammering miles nearly everyday, but thats not who these guys are. So either there is something more than just intervals, core strength, etc., and putting in good miles or they are just freakishly naturally talented riders. Either way, I want in on the secrets.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
^ You may be disappointed to hear this but some people are just born with higher VO2 Max and the ability to generate lower Lactic Acid at a given level of exertion so they can do things like ride sub 5 hours century without training too hard while we mere mortals have to bust our butts to make any incremental gains.

I have seen it happened over and over again in my club. Some new guy show up over-weight with his gut hanging out over his belt and within a year, he is doing century at an average pace of 18-20 mph while others who have been riding much longer will never ride a sub 5-hours century even when their life depend on it.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
They could also be using some kind of performance enhancing drugs but I'd like to think that only the Pros will do that because the stakes are much higher and the rewards much greater.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
^ You may be disappointed to hear this but some people are just born with higher VO2 Max and the ability to generate lower Lactic Acid at a given level of exertion so they can do things like ride sub 5 hours century without training too hard while we mere mortals have to bust our butts to make any incremental gains.

I have seen it happened over and over again in my club. Some new guy show up over-weight with his gut hanging out over his belt and within a year, he is doing century at an average pace of 18-20 mph while others who have been riding much longer will never ride a sub 5-hours century even when their life depend on it.

That is very true. Unfortunately I was not born with that gene.

·
1,728 Posts

No, I'm not disappointed to hear, nor surprised actually. However, I wont let such things stop me from trying to get there. The body is wonderfully adaptive despite genetics.

I had horrible, horrible asthma growing up, like emergency room type asthma where they knew me by first name because of so many trips. When I started showing an interest in running I was told not to push too hard and also told to never expect competitive times.

Despite that, I made it into the military and I trained my arse off and had two major asthma attacks in the process, but, I eventually ran a sub five minute mile.

I may not get to where I want to be performance wise in the century distance, but I also am not going to let that prevent me starting the journey to get their either. I do know this for fact, however, that starting the journey I will be better than I am now wherever I end up maxing out in that distance.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
sub 5 minute mile is pretty damn fast. i don;t know many who could do that when i was growing up and i ran cross country and track (mile and two mile, plus pole vault :) ).

·
1,728 Posts
sub 5 minute mile is pretty damn fast. i don;t know many who could do that when i was growing up and i ran cross country and track (mile and two mile, plus pole vault :) ).
Well, I couldn't do it now, primarily because I don't train specifically for that when I run. The best I have done in the last year or so is 6 minute miles but I generally settle in somewhere in the 7 minute/mile range. I loved running but was always concerned about the joint impact and one of the reasons I took up cycling since it most definitely has that endurance aspect that I loved about running.

My wife has taken up running and has fallen in love with it despite having a bike herself. She absolutely LOVES intervals on the treadmill oddly enough and be dang if in just a few short weeks if she is not already running in the 12 minute range and twisting my arm to run a 5k with her.

I wish I had taken up cycling instead of running when I started but I was just never really exposed to it as a sport then. By the way, my fastest mile time was 4min 47sec. However, I always was inclined more towards the multi-mile events so I dialed back for those but would do mile long tests from time to time just to see if I could still hammer out that pace, but I was younger and a wee bit thinner then too.

I seemed to do better in 10k's for whatever reason and my best time in such an event was 38 min.

Ironically enough, after the two really bad asthma attacks while training, I never had another and have not since, so I've always attributed running to getting me past that mess. The sport I was told to not push hard and never expect competitive times seemingly was the very thing I needed.

·
Mountain Tourer
719 Posts
At 69 years old, I am now limited to biking and walking. But in my younger days up through mid 50s, I typically ran close to 35 miles a week. My 10K times were in the mid 40s, not the fastest but healthy. Then around my mid 50s ran one in the very low 40s and tore both meniscus in the knees. Sport doc said I was getting too old for this type of training and find something easier. Sometimes I am out walking early in the morning and feel so good, I can't help but run/jog a few miles just because it feels good. But most of my exercise is on the bike in a low impact environment....speaking of low impact, I thought my motorcycle was low impact till I had my first accident...will stick to my pedal bike from now on.:)

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
i went state in california in high school for the mile, 2 mile, and pole vault (odd combination, ha ha ha). i love running and would still do it but a little incident in basketball stopped running for me and got me into biking for exercise. my dad did it growing up, triathlons and stuff, and i rode with him some in high school but i couldn't get into it. we did the running parts together though since we both were 5 minute milers on long runs and below 5 minutes in 1 mile events. i loved running though, still wish i could do it

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
Reactions: newleaf150

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
FF 6 years......what happened in 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts