Hover Bike?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by tool, Aug 9, 2009.

1. tool

tool Guest

Is there such a thing as a hover bike?

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Of course! Who doesn't have one these days.

I highly doubt it though though they do have personal jet packs.

That would be an epic build.

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Yes they do have hover bikes but you have to pedal very fast to keep it up. You lean forward and backwards to move and lean left and right to turn.

They are best for downhill because you don't have to worry about roots and rocks they ride smooth. The fun stuff is while riding in the park with friends they have to go around the lake you can go across it and meet them on the other side rested and ready for more. Snow and sand are also no longer something that will slow you down.

Seriously, I have seen some home built hovercrafts that used a bike frame as the area the person rides on but wouldn't call them hover bikes. The bike was just the seat they had motors on them to make them go.

4. ChiliDawg

ChiliDawg Guest

On the ones you pedal very fast to keep it up does this mean the blower is pedal operated on those versions?

Do you think it would be difficult to make your own hovercraft skirt?

5. craisin

craisin New Member

hover bike is that like a town bike that hovers round the bar with an empty glass

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I don't think it's possible for a single person to generate enough lift.

7. craisin

craisin New Member

true true Hack
    was trying to break it to them gently:D

8. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Look at the thrust to weight ratios of jump-jets. For a person to lift himself he'd need about 50 pals kicking in too. That's crowded on one bike seat. Still, a hove bike would be smooth.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

This is totally possible. Some sort of turbine being operated through a complex system of sprockets and being pedaled... Forget I said anything.

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Don't forget it, funetical, just make sure one of those sprocket things is also connected to a small RR turbine. (or GE)

I recently watched a video of a device that uses pressurized water to lift a man. It looked like one of those rocket backpack gadgets we've had around since the 60s. Only this thing is worn by a person who flies over water attached to a large tether that is the water uptake. This thick hose is connected to a floating raft with a motor-driven pump on it. You can get about 30-40 feet into the air and as you fly you tow the raft around behind you. Lift is from the water being redirected down and away from the standing pilot. Just like the old style jet type. Time aloft is as long as the pump has fuel. None of this 60 second limit as with a real turbine or rocket.

Downside is you cannot go across land or canyons. This is a water toy. Looks like fun.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  11. tychobrahe

tychobrahe DIYer & Hobbyist

currently there's like a 1m$ prize for anyone creating a human powered vehicle that generates enough lift for i believe its 15 mins of "flight."

-that said no ones done it yet from my knowledge and you'd have to find a way to STORE HUMAN ENERGY ;)

so maybe charging batteries through pedaling and then discharging a motor powerful enough to get off ground? (batteries are heavy though)

12. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well if its 1,000,000 for a vehicle that sustains human powered flight, then someone could collect right now. Some time ago they created a super light airplane using a bicycle mechanical s to turn a prop. I think they called it Dadelious after the story in Greek mythology. It created a number of problems. First they needed someone that could fly because it wasn't going to be that easy of an airplane to fly in the first place. They got a good pilot, but realized that they wouldn't have the training to be able to have the necessary endurance. So they taught a cyclist to fly. At the speed and altitudes they were flying, that was good enough, and in fact they started referring to him as the "engine", which was probably more accurate. They flew the thing across the English channel IIRC.

13. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Actually it was the Gossamer Albratross that flew the channel. There was another flight that flew from Irkalion on Crete to Santorini a 74 mile distance in an MIT Daedalus 88.

Anyone up for a century in the air???

14. schwinnman

schwinnman New Member