Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the seasoned cyclists here feel about cold weather riding.

Is it necessary to wear only cycling clothing, or could you get away with just the first couple of layers and then add a sweat shirt and a wind breaker or something.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Here in Central Texas real cold is usually accompanied by rain which I detest on my commute. Way too dangerous. If it's sunshine or no rain forecasted I will also layer up and ride in 40 degree Weather. It rarely gets below that here.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have heard of riders going out in below freezing air. I do not know how they live it. This would kill me. Then there is ice on components, brakes especially. I think it more a stunt than real practice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In Minnesota you will see cyclists out in single digit temperatures if it's a sunny day. The windchill is pretty intense and when it's that cold skin must be covered or it will not take long for frostbite to set in. Personally, I'll ride in the thirtys - maybe 10 miles or so, but not below freezing - it just isn't enough fun for me to do that.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I rode the ouyher day it was 40*, just some dubble layer long johns under my riding shorts went 25 miles it was ok. O I did have a cap under my helmet that makes a big differnce. Going to get ready now it is 36*

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I've ridden a motorcycle down to the low 20s, which works out to about zero with wind chill. But I can't ride a bicycle below about 40 degrees. For the record, our high today is half that.

I did just start collecting some new cold weather gear, but my guess is that once you have to bundle up a certain amount, it's just no longer fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've ridden a motorcycle down to the low 20s, which works out to about zero with wind chill. But I can't ride a bicycle below about 40 degrees. For the record, our high today is half that.

I did just start collecting some new cold weather gear, but my guess is that once you have to bundle up a certain amount, it's just no longer fun.
This is my feeling too. Better to the rollers in front of a tele. Fireplace in the background. Ale in the box, waiting. All the cold I want to know.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I broke my cold record Saturday. I went out and did hill repeats with the temp 14 deg F. Layered with a thin base layer under a thicker base layer and a jacket. I had my bib shorts and leg warmers under my unpadded PI thermo bibs. Actually sweated on the way up, but still froze on the way down. I rode again on Sunday when it was about 36 and it felt great with that same layering system.

Glad I did get out both days, because I had to get stitches in my back yesterday, and can't ride or exercise again until they are out. :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
This is my feeling too. Better to the rollers in front of a tele. Fireplace in the background. Ale in the box, waiting. All the cold I want to know.
I actually have a fireplace in my office. I may have to break down and get a trainer, even though I hate them. I have some package that connects it to my computer, so I can ride different courses and race against other bike geeks online. But I hate trainers.

Did I mention that I hate trainers?

·
Zensunni Wanderer
46 Posts
I'd rather get on the treadmill than ride on a trainer. And I despise the treadmill.

The addition of leg warmers to the cold weather arsenal have decreased treadmill time significantly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Way to go, Xela! My hats off to ya. I think I'm going to stay around 50* or so, and I will probably try 40* just to see what it's like. I agree with Hack about the motorcycling. When I was 18 all I had was a motorcyle to get around in NJ. I even strugled to get home in some heavy snow a couple of times. For me, going 25mph or 80mph doesn't make too much difference, once you go over a certain speed I just get stiff and go faster to get the ride over with. A bicycle is different, your body has to be fluid, not stiff, to enjoy the ride.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
You gotta go techno with the clothing. No cotton (you mentioned sweatshirt). Micro fleece under and Gore windstopper tights and jacket over. Try to keep everything skin tight, flapping clothes detracts from the "fun". Shoe covers, good gloves (lobster mits!) and a windstopper cap under your helmet. I also cover the vents on the front of my helmet from the inside with duct tape.
All the above brings you down to the 20s. After that... Spinning!

·
Zensunni Wanderer
46 Posts
You gotta go techno with the clothing.

Agree. Patagonia offers some well made base layer clothing as well as wind proof outer shells.

All the above brings you down to the 20s.

No thanks.
I like cooler weather, but not top of the world cool.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
At 40* 25 miles was good I realy had fun, at 36* I went 11 miles but it felt like 50. I just never warmed up, back got stiff and I never loosened up to have a nice ride. I did not feel cold just never got loose. At 65 years old it may be harder to loosen up.

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
I usually don't get cold until it drops below the 30s when walking so cycling I try to keep it above 40s.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I actually have a fireplace in my office. I may have to break down and get a trainer, even though I hate them. I have some package that connects it to my computer, so I can ride different courses and race against other bike geeks online. But I hate trainers.

Did I mention that I hate trainers?
I've a mate with a similar setup. He claims to get so into the race he forgets he's indoors. Says on stopping he's a bit confused as to how he got where he is next to the sofa and table and such.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts