How do I clamp my carbon bike?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Mike1jw, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Here I go again with carbon frame issues. :eek: I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on how to clamp my Giant Defy Advanced 2 to a repair stand.

Defy Advanced 2 (2009) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Gaint sells a seat post clamp adaptor that is supposed to be used whenever clamping to a stand, but I was told by my LBS that I really don't need one. If I buy a repair stand from them, they said they would show me how to clamp my bike to it, but I can get a nice stand cheap from Performance Bike. I would think that I could clamp directly to the seat post, front to back, not side to side. You would think that, like an egg, it is strongest at it's longest points, not side to side. I cant imagine why that adaptor tool would be needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I would clamp it by the seatpost. If that's CF too, get a cheapo seatpost of the same diameter that is aluminium.

Or, get a Park PRS-20...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Have you seen a CF seatpost? I'd clamp one without hesitation. Just don't get all ham-fisted with the clamp.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. hophead

I would too, that is, if I owned anything that had one.

5. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Some CF seatposts have scary thin walls. I wouldn't clamp a Campy Record.

6. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

I have a Lemond carbon with carbon post...I use a Park PCS-9 and like Industry Hack says...just don't get all nuts with it and it holds great while not crunching anything

7. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Here's a nifty trick you can do to your repair stand's clamp. I had some Grab-On foam (slip on type) handle bar material laying around. I just cut a piece the same length of the clamps of my repair stand. Then split and hot glued it to the clamp's jaws. I found this material is ideal as it is fairly close-celled foam and starts holding the seat post, top tube, down tube (where ever) pretty securely before the full force of the jaws is achieved. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

8. hophead

I was at one of my LBS's over the weekend. They just happened to be working on a CF bike and had a very unique solution that even works on frames with odd shaped tubes. This particular bike had teardrop shaped tubes.

He had taken a the rails off of an old saddle and secured them to a spare seatpost. The seatpost was then clamped into the work stand and also secured to the bikes seatpost. I wish I had brought my camera.