Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really just a question from curiosity and has basically no practical purpose, cause we all know that wheels hold the frame off the ground. I was thinking on the ride the other day. Is the bike hanging from the spokes on the top of the wheel? Are the spokes on the bottom of the wheel holding the bike up? Or is it a combination of both? Common sense says both, but I don't know.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when you true a wheel you're making the tension even again? When I do it it feels like there's more tension on some of the spokes than others.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheels hold true (As long as you'd expect cheap ones to) so I'm pretty sure they're not bent. But I'm thinking I may be mis-informed. I thought that truing was taking out minor little bends and the like in the rim. Obviously if the wheel is crescent shaped tightening the spokes isn't going to help, but like little stuff from riding over bumps and twigs.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Truing involves making sure the wheel is straight (side to side) and round. You can possibly take out small dents, but that's more wheel repair than truing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I understand now! Of course I'll only know when I try and share my new found knowledge and some one says "umm, no not really." LOL

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Actually one way or the other is controversial. Some say the spokes hang the wheel because when you set on the bike the bottom spokes detension slightly thus the spokes above the hub stay the same, they don't detension but stay as the preset tension was at time of build. Some say the spokes above tension up a bit more, I can't see that happening. So the wheel actually hangs from the top regardless if the tension increases or not, while the bottom spokes detension regardless of the top spokes increase tension or not.

I saw a ultra slow motion film once showing spoked wheels under load deflecting slightly on the bottom but not on the top. The same was true with hard torque being applied.

I'm not trying to flame anyone because there is both school of thoughts, and personally I don't think anyone is truly wrong, but more of an opinion, and mine is that they hang. But having said that here's a site that claims they stand: Ian's Bicycle Wheel Analysis But Harvard says they hang; see this: Hubs hang from the rim!

One thing for sure they don't do both equally. So I guess you'll have to decide and come to your own opinion. Fortunately your life doesn't depend on your opinion being one way or the other!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts