Two Spoke Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
John-

didn't you pin it or something to be able to disassemble it?
Yes! Instead of gluing it together I used #6 x 3/4" sheet metal screws on all the joints. It allows me to disassemble it, if I need to or make a quick modification to the rack without having to get replacement fittings.

My wife's first recumbent trike was a delta style. I had to make the modification to the original plans so that her front wheel could go all the way forward and not use the rack in order for it to fit in the truck bed. Thus the offset and opening on the left. When she got her first tadpole trike, we had to put it in backwards (rear wheel in the opening) and I had to make a PVC wheel stand to lift the boom over the tailgate. I modified the wheel stand for the van. Removing four screws and the legs of the wheel stand allows me to use it in the pickup as well.

Her first tadpole trike and my first road bike. The PVC item on the rear wheel of the bike is a wheel stand I made before I bought a commercial one to go in the van.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Saris Thelma 2 or 3 bike hitch mount.

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
I put my bikes in the back of my Honda Element. They fit without taking a wheel off or anything. Normally I just haul one bike in there so I only fold up one rear seat. I have a two bike hitch rack that the bikes sit on the wheels and a four bike hitch rack that they hang from the top tube.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've had good luck with simple rear racks from Allen and Hollywood. So it's been awhile since I bought a bike carrier but the Hollywood rack I'm using still does the jobs to perfection. It's the F1B Original. Any of these racks save you a bunch of money over Saris, Thule, etc. http://hollywoodracks.com/trunkRacks.html I've never dropped bikes on the highway. I find it hard to imagine this could happen with ANY rack. User error?

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts

·
275 Posts
I use something similar to the rec-rac but it's home built and I attach it to each tire with the Thule rubber straps and had no problems even down the freeways.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

·
1,084 Posts
thule 934xtr on the van.

2" receiver, 4 bikes. I'm thinking of adding a couple of hydraulic lifters on the side to make lifting it loaded easier.

need to figure out a better way to haul them with my car, van too. if i don't exit my driveway slowly and remove the front wheels off of bikes, they can make contact on the way out.

·
Two "Slow" Spoke
3,445 Posts
^ Rola don't need no stinking front wheels. He just do wheelie the whole ride (like Peter Sagan). :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts
Rola where do you put the front wheel :eek:
Thanks Wild.. Getting ready to ride and another wheel has gone missing!

^ Rola don't need no stinking front wheels. He just do wheelie the whole ride (like Peter Sagan). :D
But not always on purpose :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts
Oops forgot this :)
ImageUploadedByBike Forum1405691781.176141.jpg

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts
AND not always on the back wheel either :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,189 Posts
On the rear of my Ferrari. I hope I don't scratch my bike.
You don't use anything to protect your bike from the car ???:eek::eek: I'd hate to have to pay to get my bike buffed or even worse..... Repainted!

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
This is the only rack I have. 9.99 from Amazon fork mount mounted on my truck bed. I keep the Wheel in the bed of the truck.

Attachments

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
I had a Saris Bones when I first started biking paved trails. However if the top tube isn't straight, a bike mounts horribly. After three months I finally upgraded to a Swagman platform hitch mount. This rack is excellent. I started out with an XC2, than upgraded to a XTC2. Bikes on an off in a flash.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts