How do you ward off dogs?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by snowbird, Sep 16, 2009.

1. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I ride rural roads here in SW Ohio. There's practically no traffic. But because it's so isolated some people keep guard dogs. Some dogs, especially some of the older ones get quite serious about defending "their" portion of the road. They snarl, growl, head down, tail down. They're wanting to bite.

A biker I met said usully a squirt from his water bottle is enough to ward them off. But that was just after he'd been bitten. He had holes in his ankle to prove it.

What's a good way to ward off dogs without getting the homeowner so upset he's getting out the shotgun or calling the sheriff?

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Some discussions on this subject can be found in this thread, started as a discussion on using pepper spray on dogs.

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f39/pepper-spray-978/

By the way, if yelling at them doesn't work (usually does, because they don't recognize you as a human, and if you yell "no" or some other word they have heard from humans a lot, they usually at least pause long enough for you to ride on by), the water bottle trick usually works for me.

3. Xela

I say let him call the sheriff. It's his job as a home/dog-owner to make sure that the dog is kept under control and is not a harm or threat to people.

For example, here's some laws in our state.

(a) Municipal corporations shall have the power to prevent the running at large of dogs, and injuries and annoyances therefrom, and to authorize the destruction of them, when at large contrary to any prohibition to that effect.

Any animal or fowl that is found running at large within the city is declared to be a nuisance and shall be impounded in some suitable place designated by the mayor.

No owner shall fail to exercise proper care and control of his animals to prevent them from becoming a public nuisance.

You can find the laws for your state here:
    Overview of State Leash Laws

4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I delivered newspapers when I was a kid. I never had a problem with a dog. I just made sure I made them think I was the pack leader. Loud, instant response to them. I even had an old cattle dog jump out of the back of a truck at me. I hollered at him as he was in the air. He hit the ground and turned around and jumped back in the truck. The owner was running out to save me because every other time it happened someone got bit. One kid always carried a spray bottle with lemon juice and aimed for their eyes. I did his route one summer and never had a problem with any dog on the route. He came back and got bit the first day.

Be confident, be loud, be on your feet and powering away.

5. Biker

Biker New Member

I look them dead in the eye and I say "No, stop, That's not food. Go away. Where are your owners?"

6. crazystreet

crazystreet Guest

You have to move away as slowly and quietly as possible or be still on one side of the road and wait until cars come by, only move away when the cars are blocking the animals view of you. Also you can use your bike as a shield against them if anything goes wrong a vehicle can chase them away.

7. Biker

Biker New Member

I think it's easier to let the dogs know who's boss. A stern warning works well I'm telling you.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Hot Dog Necklace! They hate it!

9. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Has anyone tried an aerosol boat horn? My nephew says they work great!

These dogs aren't pets. They're guard dogs on properties maybe 1/2 mile apart. There is a large pit bull between my home and the nearest town. He wears a large shocker collar activated by invisible fence. Every time I ride by he hurls himself again and again against the barrier snarling and growling all the while. He goes nuts. If he ever gets past the barrier I'm a dead man.
    But the dogs in Fayette county to the north of me aren't restrained at all. They make the road part of their territory. I'm on them on the bicycle before I even know they're there. I'm going to need something to use against them while they're closing on me.
    I have a 9mm pistol, but I'm not that good of a shot over my shoulder while riding a bicycle. Besides it's a pretty extreme measure. But I swear the last time I was out I wished I had it with me.
    If I carried pepper spray it'd be the kind they use on grizzly bears!

The last thing I want is to get mauled by some dog! Plus fearing for your life takes some of the pleasure out of an afternoon ride. And I really resent being at the mercy of some dumb animal when all I'm trying to do is ride my bike.

I appreciate everyone's replies. But I'm faced with a more serious problem than backing down some ankle biter. Anybody got any extreme defense measures?

10. Xela

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

A single dog should never be a problem but riding rural settings where you get a pack can be a different story. A pack of dogs can be brutal, I saw carry pepper spray if you know there are packs on the route.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I got some Dog Repelent , It seams to stop them but does not hurt them like peper spray thay just seam to stop and go away.

13. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I've never seen more than two dogs at a time. But I've noticed two dogs are four times the problem.

Thanks for the link for "Sound Defense". It looks like something I may need.
    It doesn't harm the animal. I like dogs. Probably watched every episode of the Dog Whisperer. That's how I understand some of these dogs I encounter are dangerous.

14. biggie

biggie Guest

I find that the dogs are more used to cars going by which they know they can't attack but when they see someone making a weird noise like the clicking ov a bike on a smaller vehicle they think they can take it and the speed attract them to you

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You should never wish you had it. If it seems necessary, it is.

16. Biker

Biker New Member

Those shock callers don't work well at all. I had one growing up and I could go anywhere. Didn't keep me from biting people in the least.

17. darkangel

darkangel Guest

Even the largest dogs get a jolt of fear when you have a cattle prod and give a zap in the air with it we used to have to check on oil wells on all kinds of weird properties with large dogs roaming free...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  18. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

on the aerosol boat horn, that might be a bit much. It could damage their hearing if you do it for more than a quick spurt.

As long as you just do a quick toot at the dogs to stop them, it should be fine.

I'm more for the stern and loud "NO." or whatnot. Make sure they know you're in charge, and they should stop. That SoundDefense thing is pretty cool, though.

19. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Thanks everybody. I'm off on a bike trip today. Probably the last nice day of summer. I hope to do 50-60 miles exploring back country roads.
    I still don't have anything defensive. I think I'll carry a white stick to wave at the dogs. The trouble is by the time I get something light enough to carry on the bike it's way too light to be of any use. Just a warning. But I havn't seen any dog that doesn't respect a man with a stick. Though I'm sure they exist. I've heard you can hit a pit bull in the head with a ball bat and it just makes him madder.

20. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I keep the pepper spray that goes on a key chain. Its on a plastic coil I got from Home Improvment store by the keys on my handle bars. Last ditch defense but I feel its necessary. Lots of Pit Bulls here.