Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
889 Posts
There are too many variables to consider. Wind? Terrain? Tires, type, inflation? Slope, uphill, downhill, perfectly flat? Rider position, size? Etc.

Besides, what does it matter? Are you having fun? In the end, that's all that really matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
today 37.8 -downhill, usually flat high sustained cruise speed is 18, I say the highest speed on a flat was 23-24 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,867 Posts
I was dying, desperate to get to the next water source. I ran out of water at the bottom of the big climb, Sugarloaf Mt. 75 miles into my 150 mile solo ride. The Flint Hill General Store ten miles further down the road was closed. A hot day, no shade, farm country. After I hit 43+ mph on a deserted well-paved straight downhill road, I stopped and sat near a drainage ditch under a lonely tree. I gnawed with my dry mouth on a Nutrigrain fruit bar hoping the moisture in the jam would help. Buzzards circled above. Thankfully it was mostly downhill to mile 95 and another closed general store at Point of Rocks. This economy is a killer. I diverted from my planned route down a muddy C&O Canal towpath about a mile to a campsite and water from a pump. Back to Point of Rocks, over the Potomac, an unpaved climb over the second biggest hill on the route, Furnace Mountain. Gatorade from a gas station at Clark's Gap, back to civilization and drinking fountains on the W&OD rail trail. Phew.

It's probably not safe to go that fast all alone in the middle of nowhere, but I figured I was going to die anyway so why not go out in style?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
26 top speed usually average around 12 to 13mph. There's no hills around here so this is flat land speed. I just ride for fitness and fun so this is fast enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I average 13-14 on a ride usually. Have had her up to 28 on a hill, got to thinking bout how bad it would hurt to take that spill! Old and slow, that's me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,867 Posts
I'm old and slow too, toad, the average speed for most of my rides is between 12.5 and 14.5mph.

Today I managed 15.6mph for 26.1 miles which was my fastest ride since I started measuring. I started and ended around sea level, with a little over 1100 feet of climbing. From there I took a train back to near the high point of the first ride (about 400ft elevation) and rode 8.52 miles back to sea level with very little uphill at 18.1mph average speed. :)
 

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
Joined
·
243 Posts
I know I've been at 40+ on some large steep downhills here in CO. Springs! LOL, otherwise I'm SLOW, 11 mph avg. seems to be my normal flat land speed, down to 8.5 mph when riding with the wife. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
qmsdc15 said:
I'm old and slow too, toad, the average speed for most of my rides is between 12.5 and 14.5mph.

Today I managed 15.6mph for 26.1 miles which was my fastest ride since I started measuring. I started and ended around sea level, with a little over 1100 feet of climbing. From there I took a train back to near the high point of the first ride (about 400ft elevation) and rode 8.52 miles back to sea level with very little uphill at 18.1mph average speed. :)
That's good gmsdc15 I'm at 14.4 for 29 miles and getting better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bjjoondo said:
I know I've been at 40+ on some large steep downhills here in CO. Springs! LOL, otherwise I'm SLOW, 11 mph avg. seems to be my normal flat land speed, down to 8.5 mph when riding with the wife. :)
I'm like bjjoondo when riding with wife
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
toad350 said:
I average 13-14 on a ride usually. Have had her up to 28 on a hill, got to thinking bout how bad it would hurt to take that spill! Old and slow, that's me.
Toad350 13-14 is still good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,867 Posts
I know I've been at 40+ on some large steep downhills here in CO. Springs! LOL, otherwise I'm SLOW, 11 mph avg. seems to be my normal flat land speed, down to 8.5 mph when riding with the wife. :)
How are you managing with the fires? I hope you're doing OK.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top