Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Recumbent forum would have been the more appropriate place to post it. Wutz with all the junk you're hauling? You doing self-supported or something?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Recumbent forum would have been the more appropriate place to post it. Wutz with all the junk you're hauling? You doing self-supported or something?
No.

The Canel Bak is for water of course. The flourescant seat bag carry's my spare tubes, tool kit, first aid kit, baby wipes, spare batteries, head light, MP3 player and desk top speakers. I never ride without the Camel Bak or the seat bag.

The saddle bags with the yellow bag covers are for commuting. I carry my regular clothing in them. The Ryobi radio is used with my MP3 player for my ridin' tunes. It has an AUX feature. I have it connected with an audio cable to the desk top speakers and to the MP3 player.

The whistle and horn are to alert people on the trail I am going to pass and blast at motorists who buzz or pass too close, etc. The Air Zound horn is very effective with motorists. The whistle is easier and better than yelling "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" and losing my voice in the process. Plus yelling out "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" often causes the inconsiderate idiots who are taking up the whole trail, when they are not supposed to be, to move to the left, the side I am passing them on. The whistle and loud music from the MP3 player are effective at close distance, and the the Air Zound to alert from a distance further back so they are not scared out of their skin.

If the admin/mods. want to move this to the recumbent forum that is up to their discretion. But this is not just about recumbents.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems more general so it stays.

What a setup John. What are your average long hauls in miles been recently?
My commute is a little more than 14 miles, one way. I have not done any long rides yet this year. The longest I think was a 30 miler a couple of weekends ago. I need to get out more on weekends to do a longer ride. With RAGBRAI coming up I need to be used to doing long rides. Most of my riding is urban commuting to/from work.

I wonder if this is another way to look at it. I commute 14 miles one way on my commute hauling the saddle bags with my stuff in them, thus heavier weight than when I just do a longer recreational ride. Do you think doing shorter commuting rides with more weight is the same as doing longer recreational rides with less weight?

Either way I know this much, when I do recreational rides sans saddle bags and added weight I am faster than when I commute with the added weight.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I liked the vid, hated the music. You have a cool setup there SUX.
Thanks.

I know that song gets stuck in your head along with the chipmunk voices singing it.

The seat frame is custom built this year. It is still primer gray because I have not decided on a color yet. I'll probably wait to have it painted when I have the bike overhauled and repainted.

Is there any value in saving/salvaging the headbadges anymore on bikes? If not I won't worry about mine, if there is I'll have it carefully removed and reapplied.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes. I just figured that most upright riders wouldn't care about how a recumbent was outfitted. The baggage makes a lot of sense for commuting. Are you going to do RAGBRAI with a heavy bike, or take some of it off for the trip?

I'd definitely save the head badge.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For RAGBRAI, or at least for this RAGBRAI I will not need the saddle bags and come to think of it I won't need the sunblock bottle on the bike either, not that it adds a whole lot of weight. It will be jsut the seat bag, Ryobi radio and Camel Bak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts