How important are

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by rola643, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

hamstring muscles vs quads when you ride? I ask because the other night I was at a friends house who had a free weight set and I sat down to give it a whirl.

I tried leg extensions Free Weight Leg Extensions - TheTrainingStationInc.com© with 90 lbs and could do that until I was bored with it.

When I turned around to do leg curls I could barley do a set! Free Weight Leg Curls - TheTrainingStationInc.com©

Will increasing my ability to do the curls help me with riding or does most power come from your quads while riding vs hamstrings ? I know my hamstrings always feel tight for the first 8 miles or so of every ride regardless of whether I stretch before I ride or not, kinda accepted it and it is MUCH worse when it's 50 degrees or cooler...sux getting older :hate:

2. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

scientifically, can't say. for me my quads are stronger and when i run if i go too far and get sore it is always the hamies. from this i would assume my riding style puts the quads to work more vs. running that seems to work the hamstrings more. (or at least more than the way i cycle.
    curious to learn if i made the hamstrings stronger how much if any my riding would improve. i am going to start working them. i will let you know in a month or so.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Balance is important, but I don't know how much each muscle group should be built up. If I was doing any sort of weight training for cycling, it would only be for core strength. Everything else would be done on the bike.

4. SprocketGirl

i plan to build the hamies with running... weights are not my thing. i am too lazy to work out without destination.... in mind

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I think pilates would be a good choice for cyclists.

6. rola643

Yea... another POI(point of interest) that could stand much improvement :(

7. rola643

I'm just the opposite I would rather go to the gym than run....I'd rather do almost anything than run....I can't figure out how to coast :confused:

8. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

The quads are important in the down stroke. The hamstrings are important in the up stroke. The hammies complement the quadriceps of the opposite leg as you pedal "circles." If you develop and use your hammies more, you take the strain off your quads and your pedal stroke is more efficient. Concentrate on the part of the stroke that is like a bull "pawing" at the dirt or like your toes are scooping sand backwards. I will sometimes do parts of my ride where this is all I concentrate on (it is easier to do on the indoor trainer). If you are balancing your quad exertion of one leg with the hamstring effort of your opposite leg you will get rid of or delay the onset of the bouncing that occurs when you spinning at very high RPM. Your max RPM that you can reach will actually increase. This is because you are actually pedaling in "circles" where power is being applied at all points of the combined stroke, rather than "squares" where power is only being applied with the down-stroking leg. All this assumes that you are using clip-in shoes and pedals, of course. Otherwise, as Roseanne Roseannadanna said, never mind. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  9. rola643

I tend to ride with my toes pointed down like that and have found what feels like a comfortable angle (degree)to me. I always heard of it put like scraping mud off of the bottom of your shoes. Not through the full rotation, I think I get to a point where it is flat before the upstroke. I can see what you mean about the hammies working in that fashion and now that I have heard it it seems to make sense.

I have done one legged rows a little bit from time to time as I have been told that also helps with the full circle as well as bouncing.

In the mornings I "shadow" ride and can see I have to much movement from the hips up but have found no solution as of yet. I try to stay at a 90 cadence but usually Mr Garmin says about 88 is where I tend to end up.

GREAT info Tedzo, thanx for your input!

10. Eagle

Eagle New Member

Tedzo you stole my answer haha
    I was going to mention "circles" vs. "squares" but Tedzo did a great job of it for me. thx

I am a gym nut and train 6 days a week, working every body part twice a week.
    I do Calfs, abs, obliques and lower back all 6 days!

I also train for a few select sports (cycling and Muay Thai) so I don't train for mass I train for muscular strength and endurance, also I have an ectomorphic body type.

If you would like any pointers let me know.

11. rola643

OMG...I pedal in squares and now I can hear it as well.

12. Tedzo

If you want to get super geeked-out about it, rola, I found a couple of articles online about proper pedal stroke (typed in "pedaling squares"). My eyes glazed over as I tried to read the first one, as it is super technical. The second one is more about training for a good pedal stroke.

I've done the one-legged pedal stroke for practice, too, and it works. Again, it is easier on the indoor trainer, though I've tried it outdoors, too. That's fun!

Perfect Pedaling Technique [BIKE/SPLIT]
    coach thomas - support - drills

13. SprocketGirl

for me spin class helped so much that i purchased myself a spin bike for home. when reading watching tv or eating dinner it is all don on the spin bike... my roommate jokes that i don't ever sit on anything in the house without a bike seat. it is almost true, i use the toilet as an exception.

14. Tedzo

This is probably for the best. Just sayin'...:D

15. SprocketGirl

yep... that is what i was thinking. :p

16. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well there are those little things you can set in front of an office chair from the infomercials. Maybe we have an ebay idea. Throne recumbent. Get fit while you read. Only 2 easy payments of 19.95. Buy it while you can.