Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an expensive bike make a big difference on amateur level?
Will it compensate to boost performance for lack of training in comparison with somebody who is better prepared training wise, but does not have a top of the range bike?

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
One word, motor. I'll taker the motor over the bike in your scenario and in my book training will win the majority every time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnks for the comment. I hv the club experience of somebody with little training, overweight (obese) and a decent bike obtaining a better time in a race thn somebody with more training and a very entry level bike. I'm not yet convinced by your answer or able to explain the experience.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I agree with Rola the motor matters the most.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Ultimately, building a stronger, leaner motor is the best performance gain you can get. Generically speaking, one of the advantages of the expensive bikes is they weigh less. Unless you're one of those people with 3 percent body fat, its healthier and cheaper to drop the weight off yourself. I dropped 30 pounds last year riding and I'm far faster now and have more stamina.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ultimately, building a stronger, leaner motor is the best performance gain you can get. Generically speaking, one of the advantages of the expensive bikes is they weigh less. Unless you're one of those people with 3 percent body fat, its healthier and cheaper to drop the weight off yourself. I dropped 30 pounds last year riding and I'm far faster now and have more stamina.
Ditto on what has been said.
To add to it. When I switched from my "starter" bike to a "better" bike it still took 2 months to see signifigant improvement which adds to the argument that the "motor" makes the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I hear you guys loud and clear. Could the phenomena that I experienced maybe attributed to a better set of genetics? How important a role does genetics play in cycling?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I've seen guys on steel frame road bikes crush guys on $5000 BMC's. Although, I did notice quite a bit of difference going from a Giant Trance 4 (27lbs) to the Anthem X2 (24lbs). It felt like going from an SUV to European sports car!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I've been out riding lightweight road bikes with my brother, and gotten passed by a girl about 20, who was on a vintage steel MTB. Spin classes will do that. On the same ride, we passed a little old man that must have been 80. He was on a beach cruiser, but riding strong, at a decent pace. Can only imagine what his mileage base is.

The moral of the story is that putting your tired four cylinder engine in a Ferrari will not make you faster.

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
The moral of the story is that putting your tired four cylinder engine in a Ferrari will not make you faster.
I like that analogy! I have a 2.3 l and I'm trying to compete against some 600 c.i aluminum block, injected and blown motors I just can't keep up with :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rola643 said:
I like that analogy! I have a 2.3 l and I'm trying to compete against some 600 c.i aluminum block, injected and blown motors I just can't keep up with :)
Agree, beautiful analogy.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks, I hear you guys loud and clear. Could the phenomena that I experienced maybe attributed to a better set of genetics? How important a role does genetics play in cycling?

Very important. Second only to performance enhancing drugs.

·
Two skinny J's
21,179 Posts
Second only to performance enhancing drugs.
Shhhhh now your just giving away all the trade secrets. I'm gonna have to step it up from my cookies and chocolate milk now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rola643 said:
Shhhhh now your just giving away all the trade secrets. I'm gonna have to step it up from my cookies and chocolate milk now!
You answered the dreaded question... ;-)
It's like hearing that this is your IQ...

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I ride my Aurora Elite touring bike about 5 times a week 38 pound steel bike with water bottle & gear , once in a wile I get out my Fuji Absolute 1.0 at 19# with water bottles & gear. I feel like I am flying on that Fuji. But in reality I am still verry slow compared to most, A tired old man is still a tired old man.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Practically, what you get used to is what you should use in races. It could be a different when compared with the top running ones but there always are benefits you could get from whatever you are used to already.

It does really depend on the bike type and your riding style. A good marriage between the two will almost convincingly beat out the best bike with only that to boast of, or at least that is how things work for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts