How long do I have to rest between rides?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by cvgreg, Jun 16, 2010.

1. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

I have just begun to ride my 'tour of the US'; Dallas to New Orleans to Wisconsin to mid South Dakota and then from Canada to Mexico along the Pacific Coast. At 67 years old, just starting biking, and I'm trying to get in shape.

My first day out (yesterday) I made almost 20 miles in 100 degree weather but was pooped. Today, I was out of breath and my thighs were aching after only 2 miles. How long do I need to rest to be able to ride again? Can I expect ro put on 30 to 50 miles a day, every day, while I am just starting?

Thanks for any advice.

CV Greg

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

First, consult your doctor, if you haven't already. Then make sure that your bike fits you properly.

Once that's out of the way, there are 100 other items to address. Make sure you're properly hydrated and getting adequate nutrients. Are you spinning, or mashing? Shifting to an easier gear and bringing your RPMs up means you'll use your lungs rather than legs, and also promotes blood flow into muscles, which will ease the buildup of lactic acid.

Without knowing what your current level of fitness is, it would be hard to say how many miles you should be able to ride each day.

3. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Thanks, Hack,

I am right now mashing but trying to get and keep my RPM's up. I currently turn between 60 and 80 RPM until I hit some hills. My lung capacity is increasing but still not up to where I want it. I simply try to ride more each day and take one day off each week to recoup.

CVGreg

4. Industry_Hack

Well, you're kinda going about it the hard way. But you may want to try some intervals - put in a hard effort for one out of every ten minutes, resting for the other nine.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I personally try to ride for 3-4 days in a row and then take a couple days off to let my muscles heal. I've found it the best ratio in building up my stamina and muscles.

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Building up, intervals, hydration and rest are all key elements.

I'm sore as heck from my work out the other day....like I can barely do stairs.

7. Bern

Bern New Member

Recovery for an old guy

I'm a 71 y.o. male and began cycling this year. As a hiker and backpacker, I'm in fairly good physical condition. Cycling uses muscles and joints differently than other forms of exercise. I'm now riding about 100 miles a week.

Every one is different in their response to exercise. I'm finding, at my age, recovery takes longer than when a mere 55 y.o. Yesterday I went on a 60 mile ride over very pretty New England roads with a couple of swings past beaches on Buzzards Bay off Massachusetts on a gorgeous day. Today I'm feeling a bit beat up and will take a few days to recoup. Give yourself plenty of time to recover. Plan a few rides specifically for interval training to build up horsepower.

Today is another gorgeous day. I may actually go on a short, easy ride on the local bike path to oogle the sweet young thangs in their spandes

8. Industry_Hack

9. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Thanks

Hardtail,

Thanks for the reply. As far as the countries I will visit, count them as USA and maybe Canada this year. Wife and I live on our sailboat 6 mo. per year in Sea of Courtez, MX - Sort of hard to bike there. The bike gets saltwater wet and ruins it plus I don't trust the drivers or the roads.

And, keep up the good work for us back in the states.

CVGreg

10. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Recovery

Bern,

Well, I can tell that I have a long way to strive to catch up with you. I am a former couch potato and trying to get in shape. My personal best has been 25 miles but that is in 102 degree weather. I try to put in miles 6 days out of 7. I can tell that I am in better shape than 6 weeks ago but I still have a long way to go to reach 50 or 60 miles per day.

Thanks for the input.

CVGreg

11. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Rest between rides

Dean,

Thanks for the reply regarding 'resting between rides'. I am currently trying to put in 6 out of 7 days and ride 1 to 2 hours per day. When I get tired, I stop or at least walk the bike then go again. It seems to be working but just not as quickly as I had hoped.

12. Su-zq

Su-zq New Member

Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday I always ride if the weather is suitable. Wednesday and Friday are sometimes days, with shorter easier rides if I do ride. Monday is almost always a day off.

Last week I rode 48 miles on Tuesday, 15 easy miles Wednesday, 20 miles Thursday (thunderstorm cut my rides short), Friday off, 70 miles on Saturday, 40 miles on Sunday. I think I need at least a day or two off each week.

13. cvgreg

cvgreg New Member

Rest between rides

SU-ZQ

Thanks for the input. I love it when it rains because then I can use that as an excuse to cut my rides short.

CVGreg

14. Industry_Hack

I love riding in the rain.

15. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

There are some things I don't mind in the rain, but riding isn't one of them. Que Neil Sedaka

16. Bern

Bern New Member

Greg
    A few years back, on vacation in Baja, at a campground in the small town of Bahia de Los Angeles, we spent a few days over Christmas in the company of a charming French Canadian woman who was riding her bike from n. slope Alaska with the intended destination of Punta Arenas, Patagonia. After pedaling a fully loaded touring bike many thousands of miles, she had developed legs like tree trunks. I'll bet she could have given the Tour de France guys a run for their money - especially on climbs.

Fortunately the body is very adaptable well into geezerhood. Just listen to your body and don't so irreperable damage. Hack's schedule sounds good - one minute of pushing the pace and recover for nine. When this begins to feel good, a few days or weeks later, push for two minutes and recover for eight, etc.

17. Industry_Hack

I like Bern. He's smart. :)