Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although cycling is a good way to exercise, we must also pay attention to the moderation. If we just want to exercise and not pursue extreme riding goals, we can control each ride between half an hour and an hour. Because less than half an hour, our body has not been fully mobilized, and there is no way to achieve the purpose of consuming fat and losing weight. But more than one hour, it is easy to cause people's fatigue, prone to accidents and dangerous accidents.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
I've done 88mi in a day without ill effects. No motor other than me, either. The trick is you have to work up to the mileage you want to ride. Even on an e-bike, endurance and muscle memory are needed, as is situational awareness. Regardless of mileage, if you can't keep track of what his happening around you, you are not as safe on the road as you should be. Fatigue dulls awareness, but that's why it's important to work up to longer mileage and to be aware of the signals your body is sending. No reason in the world why most anyone can't ride safely for well over an hour if they are deliberate and work up to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done 88mi in a day without ill effects. No motor other than me, either. The trick is you have to work up to the mileage you want to ride. Even on an e-bike, endurance and muscle memory are needed, as is situational awareness. Regardless of mileage, if you can't keep track of what his happening around you, you are not as safe on the road as you should be. Fatigue dulls awareness, but that's why it's important to work up to longer mileage and to be aware of the signals your body is sending. No reason in the world why most anyone can't ride safely for well over an hour if they are deliberate and work up to it.
Yeah, you are right, the premise of ensuring the length of time is to ensure that you are in good physical condition.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,057 Posts
People like that inspire me almost as much as they make me feel incredibly foolish for having spent decades working out and then thrown it all away in a few years of working too hard and eating too much. I might not get back there by 82, but it is good to know it can be done .....

I sometimes shoot bike races, and it never ceases to amaze and irritate me when I see 80+ Masters riding faster than I could have at 40.

There are quite a few posters on this site messing up the Bell curve .....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts