Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many century rides 50+ cyclist average during a year? I haven't done any this year but got one in last year and would like to average four a year.

·
Two skinny J's
21,370 Posts
I'm shooting for 4+ this year.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
One a year for me. I'm not yet a fan of the centuries as of yet. Riding solo I'm just bored to death after 5-6 hours in the saddle. However I'm finally getting introduced to the joys of riding with a partner and it totally changes everything. Recently discovered that a neighbor of mine rides so the past couple weeks he and I have been going out after work for a 20-25 mile ride and I'm amazed how quick the hour goes by. He's a chatty fellow and we have a lot of common interests so it adds a new element to the ride. I'm hoping we sync our calendars for a century together this summer. I want to see how much of a difference it makes.

I do love metrics though and have done two organized ones so far this year and am already searching for a third. I'll do as many of those and I can work into my schedule.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poolie said:
One a year for me. I'm not yet a fan of the centuries as of yet. Riding solo I'm just bored to death after 5-6 hours in the saddle. However I'm finally getting introduced to the joys of riding with a partner and it totally changes everything. Recently discovered that a neighbor of mine rides so the past couple weeks he and I have been going out after work for a 20-25 mile ride and I'm amazed how quick the hour goes by. He's a chatty fellow and we have a lot of common interests so it adds a new element to the ride. I'm hoping we sync our calendars for a century together this summer. I want to see how much of a difference it makes.

I do love metrics though and have done two organized ones so far this year and am already searching for a third. I'll do as many of those and I can work into my schedule.
I have done five half and one metric century rides so far this year. Our cycling team is scheduled to do six or seven more metric centuries this year in charity rides. I would have done my first of the year in last months MS 150, but they shut down the century route because of the expected severe thunderstorms. Ended up doing two half centuries, back to back.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I rode my first century last May, at age 54. I rode 100 miles or more five times last year, the last was 198 miles. All but the first had at least 40 miles of unpaved surface on the route. These were the only recreational rides I did last year. :)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have rode a metric century not an organized one. I road to Sea Ile City and back 62 miles it would have bin 65 miles but I had a tire blow out at 62. I thaught I would ride 100 miles by now, but now I don't think it will happen, as my rideing has slowed down in the last year. The longest ride this year, 40 miles at the Tour de Tuckahoe.

·
717 Posts
I have 3 full Centuries scheduled this year so far (first one done already) ...however I always reserve the right to step down to a lower milage based on any excuse that seems to fit that day!

·
8 Posts
I am finding each centruy I ride becomes a little more boring. The sense of accomplishment is waning. Completed 2 full centuries so far this year, want to do one on each bike (5). After this year I think I'll just stick with the metric, 10 so far in 2012.

·
tall old member
1,316 Posts
I haven't been doing the century rides this year. We have had so much work and I work until midnight the night before the rides, then have to get up, get loaded and drive to the ride. It makes for a very long day. Our century rides are also full of brutal hills and I haven't had time to train for them. I did a century in Ohio in 2009 and it was amazing the diffence no hills make. I did a couple 65 mile rides on these hills this year and I did the entire Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany.

·
1,393 Posts
Did a metric century this year when we got lost - was planning on a 50 miler - looking forward to a 100 miler next summer or spring - maybe a metric century on the trainer over the winter - that sounds like a possible challenge in progress

·
457 Posts
I did three century rides this year and figure I could have done one every two weeks or so but I prefer riding with my wife to spending the day on the bike alone. I think almost anyone that can do regular 60mile days can do a century if they just take their time and stay hydrated and snack along the way. My first century was actually 120miles and the last 5 miles were rolling at about 17mph and I felt great. I'm sure I could have continued for another 20 or thirty miles. At some point it just becomes how long you're willing to sit on the bike !

·
Cyclist
45 Posts
Did 150 a few weeks ago. Rode from the Twin Cities in Minnesota up to Duluth averaging 17 miles per. My wife and kids left late afternoon and picked me up for the drive farther up the North Shore. With another two hours of daylight (gets dark early up here) I could have hit 180. It was a perfect cool, rainy day. Bit of a headwind, but nothing bad.

·
1,393 Posts
Two metric centuries this year so far, one outside with Team Elder (no drafting) on limestone & one inside on the trainer three days ago. Working toward a true 100 miler in the spring. I don't think I will do more than one a year though - would rather have many longish rides of ~30 as often as possible.

Just completed another metric on the trainer this evening - that makes three this year, can't wait to do a REAL century outside in the spring, Dec 05-2012

·
31 Posts
This year I did 3 event centuries and 5 event metric centuries. I did a few other rides on my own. Planning on doing some randonneur rides next year

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't officially qualify for this forum, I've got another year before 50, but I rode two organized centuries and four solo training centuries over this past summer. I plan on at least that many next year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will probably wind up with 15+. I teach/coach so I have the summers off. I will do 5 or 6 organized rides and a bunch of centuries on my own this summer. I did 12 centuries in June/July last year. Just like riding and have no kids so it's what I wind up doing on a lot of nice summer days.

·
Senile Member
1,892 Posts
I'm currently planning one metric century and one century this year ... subject to change depending on what becomes available. No plans to do solo rides of that length. Already did a half century solo this year. That's far enough solo.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Where I live my riding season is about 6 1/2 months long, during that time I will do about 5; but some of those are longer then 100 miles. Last season I did a 12 100 or more including one 128 miler and several 110 to 120 milers. I don't fret over whether or not I do that many, it just so happen last year was like that due to the unusual warm year from March to November and my back injury got me a lot of time off from work...then I was laid off which gave me even more time.

I'm now 60 in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did a 150 mile on a tour last year. I ran into a police officer named Delgasky in Linton North Dakota who was high and admitted he was stressed because it was prom night. After an illegal police stop I called the police on him at the hospital in the presence of a psychiatric nurse. The idiot 911 operator told him about the call and he made a second illegal stop. I was tired it was late but I rode out of town to make a second 911 call at a pay phone. You should know I had 4 eggs potatoes and coffee for breakfast and 3 Jumex juice after the ride and that was all.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts