Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding pretty steadily for about 6 months now, and have thought about getting a helmet, but still haven't done it. I purposely choose streets to ride on with little or no traffic, back streets, almost alley like shortcuts, parks and the like, but of course there's still no garrantee that a accident of some kind won't happen. Just wondering how many here care, or don't care to much about wearing one. The majority of bikers around here that wear them are the guys who look like they spent a grand on their racing suits on their 2-3K road bikes, but they almost always are mixed in with heavier traffic on nice paved city streets and probably don't care for the often bumpy uneven back roads that I'm on.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Where you ride has nothing to do with the need for a helmet. A dump truck can leave loose gravel on the road to dump you, a tire going down at the wrong time can be a problem and a host of other things can put you on the ground including your own inattention. I didn't wear one as a kid, but back then no one ever wore one. The racers I think at that time were using the leather things.

Helmets are cheap. Even if you never use it, isn't your head worth $20??? If you need it and don't have it, the hospital bill can be $20,000. Seems to me to be a no brainer. Pun intended.

Now you don't necessarily need the most expensive helmet out there. They all are required to pass the CPSC standards to be sold. Some may fit you better than others. Some may have more vents than others, and some maybe a bit lighter than others but they all offer protection. After a while it just becomes normal and you miss it when its not there. I am old enough to have had to learn to wear seat belts long before it was law. The one time I couldn't find it easily I thought I was just going to move the car a quarter mile and ended up with broken ribs, a concussion, and lots of bruises that could have been far worse. As it was I spent a week in ICU and a week more in the hospital.

How those guys look or don't look doesn't matter. How you look doesn't matter either. You won't look good after a head injury either if you need that helmet and don't have it.

Finally don't let putting on a helmet give you a sense of I can do anything. Doing something stupid is still stupid whether you wear a helmet or not. Some forget that helmet has its limits and you can still get hurt even with it on.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'll check a few places and see what they're going for. I guess I'll assume that the majority of riders here wear them, I was just curious. Is there any particular brand that is good to look for? Or are most of them pretty similar. There's a bike shop not far from me that I noticed has a bunch of them in stock... guess I'll be checking them out soon, maybe tomorrow. And yeah I guess it's time to start thinking differently than when we were kids, and the whole helmet thing didn't seem to be a concern at all. I guess it's time to get out of that mindset. I've only started to seriously start biking again since the old days!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I tend to agree with Mark on this one. Years ago, I posted something to the effect that until we get to pick the exact date and time that we have our accident, we need to wear a helmet all the time, on all streets/paths/surfaces.

When we do the family outing on a bike path with a low speed limit, I don't wear one.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
You're entitled to what you think; I'm entitled to think differently, and to KNOW that you aren't necessarily smarter than I am because we disagree.

I chose when and where I wear a helmet; off-road, on trails, on organized rides where I know it'll get a little hairy -- sure, I'll wear it. Commuting when the surface conditions are poor -- snowy, slick, etc -- yes.

For everyone that has a "helmet saved my life/skull" story, I can cite one where there was a crash and minimal injury, even to the head. There are a few in my own family.

Choose for yourself, and let NO ONE tell you "the SMART people wear them" -- passive-aggressive doesn't work for me, and shouldn't for you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well you notice I didn't say anything about supporting a helmet law. I wouldn't and don't support seat belt laws either. Why? Simple. Its your head. Its your choice, and you live with the results of that choice. Freedom is the ability to choose, even if its something others think might be a mistake.

A helmet will not help on every crash, and I will admit there are times when I hit and rolled with no helmet and got up with every other neighborhood laughing at me. We thought we were really being safe if we went and put on our football helmet to ride. Then we went out and did something stupid. The football helmet would actually keep you from eating dirt (I tested that out) but it wouldn't stop the other injuries and damage to bikes.

As cheap as they are now, as comfortable as the right one can be now, a good fit, and with the right attitude I can see no upside to NOT wearing one. I can see a lot of downside.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Yo, my head's on fire cuz I been a HOTHEAD for 50 years!

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did it... I remembered I had a Walmart gift card in my wallet, so headed there and picked up this el cheapo Bell helmet. It was the best model they had at $24.99. It's really light, it fits well and is very comforatable. It had this black viser piece on the front that I took off. Also picked up a frame bottle holder/bottle combo for the longer rides. ;?)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
After a while you will miss it when its not there, and it won't take that long. One thing to remember. If it ever takes a hit, throw it away. These are designed for one impact and one impact only. The energy absorbing foam after that is compromised. Also check and see if there is a date in there somewhere. Even with no impact, time alone can make them ineffective. I think 5 years seems to be the general rule of when to replace, but see if your manufacturer has a different time limit. Just make sure you know when you got it to refer to later and know when it needs replacing.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a while you will miss it when its not there, and it won't take that long. One thing to remember. If it ever takes a hit, throw it away. These are designed for one impact and one impact only. The energy absorbing foam after that is compromised. Also check and see if there is a date in there somewhere. Even with no impact, time alone can make them ineffective. I think 5 years seems to be the general rule of when to replace, but see if your manufacturer has a different time limit. Just make sure you know when you got it to refer to later and know when it needs replacing.
10/4... hopefully I'll toss it because it's to old, and not because of that first hit... :eek:

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
I wear one on most all of my rides, with the exception of rides around the neighborhood and around the campground on the 3-speed. Once used to wearing it, is just part of the ride. Feels funny not wearing it.

Will it safe my life? Who knows, but as has been said, its cheap insurance. It also protects my head from wind, tree branches, bird poo, etc.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah took my first ride with it on today, did about 20 miles. Sometimes when you first start wearing something new like that, it doesn't feel bad until the miles pile up, and then you realize a few things start bugging you about the feel/fit ect, but I gotta say, it feels fine...I'll be wearing it on all rides.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ok Now I know I will get hit on for this but I don't wear one riding a bicycle never have doubtful I ever will. Now we all have our own philosophy as to why or why we do not wear one. Me it's simple I just choose not to for myself nothing against the looks of them I may pick one up for the very slim rare chance I may do an organized ride. But here is the kicker for me now a motorcyle I am planning to get I won't get on it without a helmet eh go figure odd it sounds. But being made law to wear one I would tend to think there would be a lot of resentful people out there that would give the old finger and not use it just because. I mean yeah I know seat belts are quote the law but look how many people still don't use them I think has something to do with being "made" to use them part of that just don't work for me(yes I do buckle up in a car) But helmets wear or not wear I say to each their own on that one. Now if I ever get married anfd have a family one day my thinking will change on them.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
It's really light, it fits well and is very comforatable. It had this black viser piece on the front that I took off.
Light is nice and ventilation is another big plus in the heat of summer :D

Attachments

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
I wear a helmet at all times>>>

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have and always will where a helmet when I ride, I've had enough spills and close calls to guarantee that. Also in any organized ride I've been apart of has required its use.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
wearing a helmet should be a law just like wearing a seatbelt is. if you're not safe enough to put one one you shouldn't drive.
I really want to know who decided you were the one who gets to say what safe is.

I decide "safe" for me and mine, not you. That's kind of built into "AMERICA".

That's point one; point two is, THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE TO SAY THAT HELMETS SAVE LIVES on anything near the scale that the seat belt evidence does -- yes, even allowing for the massive difference in user numbers.

You're entitled to your opinion about helmet safety, and to act on it for your own life. BUT... it is OPINION, NOT FACT, and NOT applicable to MY life. And no again, my medical care won't come out of your taxes -- wait, yes it does, already, since I'm a veteran with full care eligibility!

I didn't put my ass on the line for you to tell me how to live.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts