Two Spoke Forums banner

How many miles do you do on a ride

890K views 167 replies 72 participants last post by  superj 
#1 ·
Was wondering how many miles would you class as average on a daily ride,obviously everyone is going to be different but be interesting to see the variations.
I come from lancashire in the uk so my county borders yorkshire and is quite hilly so you can get quite a workout on the bike,ive found it much easier riding the hybrid and seem to enjoy the ride more than when i had my mtb, im doing between 20 and 30 miles but occasionally i might stretch to 50 depending on how i feel, either way i just love being out on the bike,rain or shine it makes no odds to me.

#3 ·
On work days my commute is 10 miles round trip, but I usually turn that into about 15. On my days off I usually average around 20 - 30 miles a day. I have been doing 100 miles a week for the last few months, using that as a goal it makes my last day off for the week a good reason to ride as much as life will permit.

#4 ·
I try to get in 25 miles every day 7 days a week some times it is less some times a little more. I have a Fuji Absolute 1.0 Fuji calls it a flat bar road bike, it is a Hybird with 700x28c tires disc brakes and a 3x10 gear set. O yea I am 65 years old so I have lots of time I am not verry fast 12 - 13 miles avg spd.

#5 ·
Depends on time and the heat index right now, but 15-40 miles is the norm for me!

Went out yesterday with a heat index of 95* for a 16 miler. When I was done I felt like I had gone 40 miles! Hydration was key!

#8 ·
Our un-official goal is a hundred miles a week but that icludeds road bikes. One night is spin class that I count as 25 miles. Some weeks its more some less depending on weather and our running schedule. Adds up fast with three or four group rides a week plus my relaxation or kick butt rides on my crosstrail.

#9 ·
Im suprised at the large numbers you guys have put out. My small amount of 6-12 miles a day doesnt compare.
I'm with you there! I'm averaging 10 miles a ride, but it's only been a week and a half since I started riding again after about a 20 yr. layoff. I'm only 37 so I still have room to get fitter. I figure each week I'll aim a little higher and increase the mileage. Hopefully I'll be riding 20-30+ miles a ride in a month or two down the road.

#11 ·
Im suprised at the large numbers you guys have put out. My small amount of 6-12 miles a day doesnt compare.
Honestly don't worry about what others ride!

All that matters is your out there:D

I get on when ever I can whether a mile or 40! Something is always better then nothing!

Also, where in MD are you at? When I get back I will be in the Hanover area!

#12 ·
I am a runner. A distance runner.
I use my bike as a cross trainer.
I need to get a hard workout twice a week from my bike. 20 miles at speed is what I try to do.
The issue is: most paths around here are speed limit capped and enforced, at 15mph.
So...that leaves the street, It is very hard to get a sustained high speed workout on the street, with the stop lights/signs and the cars.

Saying that...
I am VERY impressed at the workout you all give yourselves.
20 miles at 20mph is a heck of a workout.

#13 ·
I always aim to ride 30 miles minimum, 40 is a good average and I often manage 50 to 60.
My weekly target is 200 plus so the daily mileage depends on how many days I get out.
Like you I ride rain or shine, living in the UK if you only went out in the nice weather you would probably only get out a couple of times a week(a bit unfair perhaps).

#15 ·
I commute as often as I can - 7 miles one way if I go straight there, but we have a lot of bike trails around here, and a state park, so I usually increase that to 11-15 miles one way. If I have time, I'll take my time and a longer route home, increasing that leg to about 20-25 miles for a 30+ mile day. But work often requires me to drive in, so some weeks I don't get to commute like I want to.
I ride every Saturday morning, as I'm a group ride leader at the LBS, and those are typically 25-35 mile rides depending on the climbs I throw in.
I had a 300 mile goal for last month, and got 325. My goal this month is 400 miles, and I'm pretty much on target. This week was tough, and I only got 75 miles in. I'll make it up :)
Like others have said, just ride. Any time on a bike, is a good time for me, even if it's only 30 minutes. I'll ride to run errands just to ride.

#16 ·
Miles per ride

I have been riding my bike 10-15 miles each trip, depending on the time...I am a complete beginner and I don't know what I am doing in terms of speed, etc but it takes me about an hour to ride 10 miles and about one hour and a half to ride the 15...this is on fairly flat trails. My goal in the next 6 months is to log 50-60 miles each week. I am walking and doing strength training on the days I don't bike...

#18 ·
I am working my way up, and at 50+ that takes more time than it did when I was in my 20s. My average ride is in the ten mile range right now, but the goal is a century. One lady in the bike shop I am in all the time did the century at the Hotter than Hell 100 in a little over 5 hours, and had a flat on the ride. Granted she is in her late 20s and I ain't, but I am long past caring what others do. The only way Id ever keep up with any of them is an engine, but that's ok. I do the best I can, have fun and that's enough.

#19 ·
trying to get there

I am working on getting back to were I was before I got moved out to the suburbs. longest I have gone lately was twenty five miles, but I cheated a bit(I took the light rail to the top of the hill) I wish I could get to the point were I am as confident as I was, but I think that horse has left the barn.

With the way my eyes are going lately I may be relegated to the back of a tandem.

mike

#20 ·
One lady in the bike shop I am in all the time did the century at the Hotter than Hell 100 in a little over 5 hours, and had a flat on the ride. Granted she is in her late 20s and I ain't, but I am long past caring what others do.
That was probably the amount of time her wheels were actually moving, and it was probably 5 hours and 29 minutes. Flats, refueling/rest stops wouldn't count, of course. Even with that, it's still not a bad time.

#22 ·
Well I have been riding all summer now and my trip avg 10-40 miles. Its all depending on the type of ride and group I'm riding with!

Now I'm moving back to the motherland (good ole USA), I look forward to riding my bike more for not only the joy of riding, but saving some money on gas with the in and around mileage.

#23 ·
Hi.
I am new to cycling only having started 5 months ago. I took my car off the road as I only did 3000 miles a year.I seam to be doing around 200-250 miles a month.

I got a new bike this month and it looks like it is going to go up to around 300-350. I love riding, and ride with a friend. We have some set routes. one is around 15 miles, another 30 miles.

A problem I have found, being new to this is over training as I also do yoga and weight training. It is sometimes difficult when I have rest days as I just want to get out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.