Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is different for male/female, and I suppose it is different for Hybrid/Mountain/Road bikes...

What do you guys prefer for a comfortable stand over height? Please provide details as to why you like the height you listed.

I have a 30" inseam, and I don't feel comfortable unless I have 2" clearance. This is on my Hybrid bike.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Even for road bikes it varies, compact geometry or level top tube? I like 1-1.5" for a level top tube, when I have compact geometry (like I do now), the same frame size gives me about 3.5". Get kicked in the jewels enough times and an aluminum tube doesn't seem too threatening. A size 13 Magnum boot though. . . . shudder.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm 5'10", and stood over a size large Giant Roam today, and it got extremely personal with me. I was going to leave it a couple of bucks as a tip. Even the medium didn't quite let me flat foot comfortably, but the small would be too small.

So I guess the answer is that I won't be getting as much room as I would like.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me that they build most bikes for 6'4" guys. I encounter 30" + standover heights on almost everything I check out. :(

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm 5' 6" with a 28 inch inseam. I'm thankful my sister was even shorter or I would not be riding her small size hybrid. A couple quick dismounts have convinced me of that.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Wow, my brain went on strike. I've always ridden mountain bikes in the 17" range. Tried two different 29ers, and suddenly I have less standover. Duh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts