How Much?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Cyclomatic, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I'm pretty new to cycling. That being said as I'm navigating the internet how much should I be looking to spend on a new road bike? Prices seem high upwards of a few thousand dollars. Is that what people are paying? Does anybody recommend some lower end bikes?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What do you plan on doing with your bike, and how much do you want to spend?

3. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Cruising around town. I have $600. I would also like the ability to maybe modify/make nicer over time.

4. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

Check out Wabi Cycles. I'm planning on using one as a basis for a project bike, and will be posting about it on the forums.

5. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

oooh i do like the look of the wabi lightning fixed... do they do export to scotland??

6. mediageni.us

mediageni.us Guest

Not that I'm aware of, but I'll check. Usually the cost of shipping is prohibitive.

And to the OP, I got this thread confused with another, so my apologies that I've linked to a single speed. You're probably looking for a bike with multiple gears. For budget-minded road bikes, check BikesDirect.

7. vanessalvs

vanessalvs Guest

I was looking at bikesdirect.com, how is the overall quality of the bikes they sell on this site? Are they reputable?

8. Industry_Hack

Mike buys direct from the manufacturer, and basically brands the bikes as his own. So you're probably getting a frame as good as any of the big brands at a slightly lower price. That would make them comparable to a name brand selling at a price point $100-300 higher, depending on the bike.

The trade-off? You can't try before you buy, like at your LBS. And there's some assembly required. A few folks have received bikes damaged in transit, which Mike is pretty good about resolving. He sells a ton of bikes, but mostly you'll only read about the few people that have some issues, never the billion satisfied bike owners.

For the record, your butt can't tell the difference between a Trek, Giant, Specialized, or BD bike frame.

9. topgun514

topgun514 Guest

check local for sale ads for good deals on a used bike

10. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Check Redline as well. You CAN get something decent for 6 bills.

At first, i thought I was going to see in your post that you can't believe you can't get a good bike for $100 anymore -- I hear that 3x/week and more. People actually believe that prices AND quality haven't changed on bikes in 30 years! LOL!

Glad to see you weren't one of those....

11. Industry_Hack

I'm actually pretty disgusted with the prices for gear these days. People are chasing technology and weight, and seem to forget about skill, fitness, and fun.

I've watched folks walk their full suspension MTBs through stuff we used to ride our rigid bikes through easily. Even worse, I can remember being on a ride with my brother, out on our expensive, lightweight road bikes. We were maintaining a pretty good pace, when this girl of about twenty went whipping by us. On her steel MTB with knobby tires.

As long as it's not some craptacular WalMart bike, it doesn't matter what you ride. Just ride often, and have fun.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I know what you mean I was out on my comfort bike, chuging along at my 10, 11 mph .when a line of young ladies went by me on there road bikes thay went by fast and thay were laughing too . :eek:

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Other Cyclist Are usually pretty nice. I have noticed though that the more expensive the bike the more likely you are to ignore me.

14. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Those that look like...a rolling billboard...for their favorite crapola, are also a bit of snobs...