Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, going to buy two slightly used Cannondales next week for my wife and me... guy is selling it for a reasonable price. We're just going to use it for on road biking nothing fancy. Anybody got tips on purchasing? what are the weak points to look at? Also I need a carrier on my car, there's too many for example: http://www.hitchanything.com/2-Bike-Hitch-Rack/ ... need advise on that also, will it be best to pay a bit more or are the cheaper ones as good as? What is a common brand for these? I want one that is easy and quick loading and unloading... Thanks everybody! ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello all, going to buy two slightly used Cannondales next week for my wife and me... guy is selling it for a reasonable price. We're just going to use it for on road biking nothing fancy. Anybody got tips on purchasing? what are the weak points to look at? Also I need a carrier on my car, there's too many for example: http://www.hitchanything.com/2-Bike-Hitch-Rack/ ... need advise on that also, will it be best to pay a bit more or are the cheaper ones as good as? What is a common brand for these? I want one that is easy and quick loading and unloading... Thanks everybody! ;)
I have to admit that when I first saw the subject line. That my first thought was that someone was asking about what firearm to carry while cycling. Particularly those with a CCW.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
So back on topic....

Your car may help in determining what type of rack you would use. As an example, if you drive a tall SUV/minivan a roof system may not be the best choice for you.

Also remember that within each type of system there are variations. As an example the hitch systems. There are tray style and there are the type that hold the bike up by the top tube.

For infrequent use (and this is just my opinion) getting an easily removable trunk/hatch rack would be best. For those, again in my experience, you can't go wrong with Thule, Yakima and Saris. I think, again IMHO, that these will offer the most bang for the buck for the occasional cyclist.

The same goes for roof racks, there are kinds where you have to remove the front wheel, otheres where you don't. Some clamp over the front wheel, some the downtube.

I personally have a full Thule roof system with two 594XT racks; I am no longer using it because of my shoulder problems. In the interim I've been using a Saris Bones truck rack and will soon have a tray style hitch rack after I have a hitch installed on my car.

I'd also be curious as to what bicycles you are getting, if they lack a top tube you'll need an adapter for any rack that holds them up by the top tube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts