How to identify my dead body

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by fleeter, Mar 18, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

OK, I've seen those fancy little bracelets you can buy (I think Road ID is the biggest name) so if you're hit, responders can identify you and contact your family.

My question is: Does anybody use anything like this? Or am I the only one paranoid enough? I didn't go with the road ID, instead, I found someone who did me up a couple dog tags for under $10. I don't typically carry any other type of identification on me, so I figured if somebody found my dead rotting body somewhere, I would at least want them to tell my wife which ditch to pick it up from.

(I hid my full name and the phone numbers because I didn't want funetical prank calling me or my wife late at night) :D

Attached Files:

2. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I have the Road ID but DAYUM! Those are some sweet tags. I've heard of people going to the pet store and having those tags made out with their info on it for pretty cheap as well.

And you're right about funetical. Dude's just creepy...

3. mike047

mike047 New Member

Road ID for me, I wore "dog tags" long enough in the service :D

4. sarahk

sarahk New Member

I had some cute tags with my name and passport number that laced into my shoes back when I was cycle touring.

We were talking about this amongst my "bunch" recently and the consensus was to use masking tape (like you put on windows before you paint, kinda paperish) with the info inside your helmet.

Cheap, effective and you don't need to remember to put it on before your ride because your helmet is always on, right?

5. fixxt

fixxt New Member

I do the same thing sarahk does - sharpie on the inside of the helmet. Name, blood type, emergency phone number. I also keep a jot of paper with that written on it inside the smaller pouch on my rack pack, just in case my helmet is lost in an accident.

6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have a tag something like a dog tag, name, add, phone, and med info.
    The wife wants me I D, no body no ins.$$$$ ;)

7. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Take a look at a photo of Eddie House (former Celtic, now with the Knicks). He has his name tattooed on his right shoulder.

NBA.com : Eddie House Info Page

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Cool Fleeter! They're going to have to use dental records to identify mine.

9. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Hey, Fleeter -

Where did you have the dog tags made?

I have a small cloth wallet that I use for biking; I have a copy of my driver's license, an emergency contact card and a copy of my medical insurance card (all laminated) in there, along with a few $$.

I like the dog tags idea tho...............

10. fleeter

Dog Tags- Custom Personalized Military Identification They were really quick, and from what I remember it was under $10 including shipping.

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

How much is Road ID? I see they sponsor a team so they must have some good cash flow.

12. fleeter

their basic wrist band is 19.99 plus shipping.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Have you had any issues with the lanyard? My cousin had to buy a reinforced one for his tour in Iraq cause the ones he had kept busting.

14. fleeter

Nope, no problems so far. Other than I can't undo the clasp after I first hooked it together, so I have to stretch it over my big fat noggin every time I put it on.

15. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have 2 Road IDs, that way I never have to be without one. I also find the Road ID to be a good conversation starter.

16. fleeter

...so, do you wear it to cocktail parties, or what?

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

LOL
    I would, but then I've never been invited to one.

18. fleeter

keggers would be just as good, I'm assuming...

19. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I actually have worn it at a company "cocktail party". Ended up finding out that one of the big wigs in my company is an avid cyclist. All because he saw the Road ID. Bummer part is....I haven't seen a raise, bonus or promotion as a result of finding this common ground with him.

20. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I think the 6-inch scar and underlying stainless plate in my right collarbone should suffice; if that doesn't, there's also the left ankle, and each wrist. All show healed breaks.