How windy is too windy

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by photosbymark, Apr 6, 2010.

1. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well as I am sitting out listening to the wind howl and the forecast for 35mph gusts, just how windy is really too windy for safe riding.

Just curious where everyone else draws the line.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I think we have the same front you're seeing. I've been riding this week and last in sustained 25 to 30 mph winds. Brutal! They're saying today 45 mph gusts. After crosswinds nearly blowing me over in the 25 to 30 mph range, I'm not going out in 45. Today was just gonna be an easy day anyway, so I'm not feeling to bad about skipping.

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Most things have some sort of rule of thumb I haven't heard on a bike. I am getting 35mph guts today and that sure ain't happening on a bike where I am cruising maybe 15 or so. I am bummed because this was going to be the first ride after a knee injury that has healed, or at least I hope so. My limit seems to be the 20 to 25 mph range. That high it just isn't fun, and crashing is definitely not my idea of a fun ride.

Well I am going to test it on the trainer instead today.

4. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

When life throws you lemons....etc, etc, etc...

Attached Files:

• cp2.JPG
      cp2.JPG
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
  5. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

The good thing about having more ballast is that crosswinds don't affect you as much. Winds were 20-30 mph on Saturday, and the sidewinds were moving me a bit; but I'd do it again. The tailwind stretch was fun!

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

I ride in 45 mph winds. Before I started riding centuries, I figured wind was to be avoided. After riding several, I learned it's better to learn to ride in all conditons as one never knows what to expect on a ride. HIlls, mountains, wind, cold heat, rain, it's all out there.

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Last year, when Phil Keoghan rolled thru town during his MS Ride Across America, there was a part of the ride that we encountered 40-45 crosswinds; they about put me into traffic a few times before I called the ride short. It was strange, because one of the 'war stories' Phil told about the ride was riding across the Southwest, leaning 45degrees into the crosswind! He said they were clocked at about 60.... Had I gotten the opportunity to tell him, I'd have said he brought them with him!

40 is about my limit.

8. jwl325

jwl325 Member

Depends which direction I want to ride...:D

9. waldowales

waldowales New Member

25 if it's warm, 10 if it's cold.

10. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

It seems that no matter what the wind direction is it is either a head wind or cross wind. I would ride all day in a tail wind. 25 miles per hour is about my limit unless I get caught in it then continue the ride.

11. noneed429r

noneed429r Recovering Retrogrouch

It's been really windy here this week in Las Vegas (heck, it's windy a lot out here :(
    I have never liked cycling in wind blowing over about 10 mph. I would rather ride up a constant 15 mile long hill than ride in constant wind. But then that's just me.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

When I have to peddle down the big hill it is too windy :rolleyes:

13. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

As said if it's a tailwind then no problems head winds suck no matter what speed you are going and I've almost been blown off my bike on a ridge near where I live by a cross wind wasn't fun.

14. Su-zq

Su-zq New Member

On Sunday, when gusts hit 20 to 25 mph, I got blown right off the pavement.

15. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

I should add to it's not so much the wind speed that bothers me it's the wind chill I HATE cold weather.