Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not really. Not until I pay my $25, at least. :p

I'm an old, fat bike shop owner (as my profile will attest). I have far too many bikes, and like to spend my time getting into trouble on bike forums when business is slow. Sometimes I even post helpful info!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, welcome!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome Pope Platy Pius.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Pope Platy Pius.
Yay! Someone gets the joke.

Many years ago, I had a website where I would post vitriolic rants about anything and everything. I like Platypi. Platypi.com was taken. So I bought Platypi.us. Hence, PlatyPius. On a board where I was a moderator, someone else pointed out the humorous association with my name. So I created an avatar of a platypus wearing the "pope hat" and dubbed myself "Pope Platy Pius LXIX".

I really am an old, fat, bike shop owner. I'm a member at RBR, but the server keeps taking a dump, so I need another place to babble and/or stab people with my heelspurs. I'll try to keep the heel-stabby to a minimum....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The $25 is for that other site, owned by the car company... ;)

Welcome to the forums!
I haven't figured this one out yet.

Which other site is owned by a car company? I'm only familiar with RBR and BikeForums.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yay! Someone gets the joke.

Many years ago, I had a website where I would post vitriolic rants about anything and everything. I like Platypi. Platypi.com was taken. So I bought Platypi.us. Hence, PlatyPius. On a board where I was a moderator, someone else pointed out the humorous association with my name. So I created an avatar of a platypus wearing the "pope hat" and dubbed myself "Pope Platy Pius LXIX".

I really am an old, fat, bike shop owner. I'm a member at RBR, but the server keeps taking a dump, so I need another place to babble and/or stab people with my heelspurs. I'll try to keep the heel-stabby to a minimum....
I didn't know the history/etymology of your username, but I have seen you at RBR. I'm Garilia there as well. Garilia is a combo of mine and my wife's first name, and it is the username I have used online since the beginning of teh interwebs! So anyway, welcome to this corner of the biking camp.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know the history/etymology of your username, but I have seen you at RBR. I'm Garilia there as well. Garilia is a combo of mine and my wife's first name, and it is the username I have used online since the beginning of teh interwebs! So anyway, welcome to this corner of the biking camp.
You haz a picture here. That throws the recognition vector way off....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[dirty laundry]When I was the admin of Bikeforums, after their sale to Internet Brands, my paychecks came from Cars Direct. [/dirty laundry]
At least that relieves you of responsibility for BF being one of the biggest piles of crap on the internet at the moment...

Cars Direct, eh? Any relation to Mike and BikesDirect? :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No relation to Mike. He's a good guy.
He is. I've gotten a few bikes from him for customers. I've also built several BD bikes for people who came in asking me for a recommendation.

Considering their price range, I make close to the same amount of money charging them to build a BD bike as I would stocking or ordering something they could afford.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It never occurred to me that a bike shop could order one, assemble it, and make a customer happy while turning a profit. Brilliant. And everyone is happy.
I have considered a business model where a bike shop would stock some interweb inventory so people could examine and see the products, then order the stuff for you, and make some money doing the install/assembly, etc. You absolutely have to learn how to make online shopping work for you as a business person.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts