Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding gets the heart pumping and the blood flowing. Makes us feel good. I didn't feel so good a couple years ago when I failed a stress test in 7 minutes. I chronicled my story HERE if you have a few minutes to waste.
Anyone is welcome to add his/her story as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I was young the ticker was a bit problematic, but as I have grown up it seems to have grown away and the latest checks on the ticker shows that it's fine and works well

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
When I did my physical last year, they did a complete cardiovascular work-up since I had just turned 65. Doctor said I had the cardiovascular system of a 40 year old. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, he didn't say if the 40 year old he was comparing me to had any problems. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did a "heart test" on the internet it consisted of answering a number of question mostly about your diet, it came to the conclusion that my heart was 5 years older then me, it also came up with what my bloodpressure and Cholestorol would be, but they where all wrong (I had recently been at the annual check-up), but they could be altered, so I changed them to the correct values and then my heart was suddenly 5 years younger than me :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Diagnosed with 30% - 40% blockage on the main arteries. Cannot tolerate statins, so I use my bike and fish oil to maintain the status quo on the problem. At 66, BP is 115/70, rides are now at 12 miles every other day with a goal of 20 in the near future. Cannot believe how good it feels after a ride. Now if I could just stop the overeating and get the weight to go down.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I had an ablation done to controle my A-fib about 9 years ago, I don't think it worked verry well, as I am still in a-fib but now have scar tisue on my hart. My rideing I think has bin the best thing for me, I feel so much better now that I ride, thay had me walking when thay first did the ablation but I ended up with a heel spur and that is how I started rideing. I had not road since I was a kid now 67-1/2

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possum, we have similar goals of 20 miles in the near future (at least by summers end).
I intend to ride to my cardiologists office today for a quick BP check, about 16 miles round trip. The longest ride to date.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I had not road since I was a kid now 67-1/2[/QUOTE]

wild, So far my ticker is working as it should (Knock on wood) I,d like to think that anyone who appreciates riding is still a kid regardless of the number assigned to your age. If you notice among all of the 50 plus set the common theme seems to be " I can't believe how good i feel after the ride" that's not just physically but mentally as well. you must be the youngest 67 and a half year old we know!;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ticker was doing fine until 7 weeks ago, losing 55 pounds, getting my blood pressure where it belongs, and getting my cholesterol and triglycerides way down, when it decided to have the RCA get 100% blocked..........................3 stents. Caught it really early, little or no damage to my heart. Cardiologist gave the OK to get back on the bike a week ago, am up to a whopping 14 miles this morning. Have to go easy though.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Ticker was doing fine until 7 weeks ago, losing 55 pounds, getting my blood pressure where it belongs, and getting my cholesterol and triglycerides way down, when it decided to have the RCA get 100% blocked..........................3 stents. Caught it really early, little or no damage to my heart. Cardiologist gave the OK to get back on the bike a week ago, am up to a whopping 14 miles this morning. Have to go easy though.
Wow! That much scary sounding stuff. Glad to hear it was all caught early. Was it found on a regular check up type deal?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, that's some scary business. Glad you caught it without damage to the heart. Still increasing my distance. Did 17.6 miles this morning.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're lucky stents could fix the issue. The next step is the knife. Are you making changes to avoid another blockage?
I saw my cardiologist last week. He was very pleased I took up riding. I asked if I could 'push it'. He said to "Go for it. It's the best thing to strengthen my bypasses".
I felt terrific after getting my stent but I slipped back to smoking. Damn near killed me.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
I saw my cardiologist last week. He was very pleased I took up riding. I asked if I could 'push it'. He said to "Go for it. It's the best thing to strengthen my bypasses".
I felt terrific after getting my stent but I slipped back to smoking. Damn near killed me.
That's awesome to hear Andy!

Smoking is the worst evil I personally know without question! I was a 2+ pack a day smoker and that NASTY habit had a hold of me with a death grip. I knew I didn't wanna die that way but quitting just seemed impossible.

And yes, I have become one of "those" ex-smokers and don't mind saying it. It's a dirty, nasty stinking habit that I don't know how anyone tolerates in public anymore.

I may be a bit hypocritical as I enjoy a cigar every now and again( and yes I know they stink) with the right beer or bourbon. Those times are getting fewer and further apart all the time and don't mind that either.

Ok jumping off of my soapbox now :D, sorry for the mini rant

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
rola643 said:
And yes, I have become one of "those" ex-smokers and don't mind saying it. It's a dirty, nasty stinking habit that I don't know how anyone tolerates in public anymore.
I was a two pack a day smoker when I quit, but that was over 40 years ago, just after my daughter was born. And you are correct in saying that it's a dirty, nasty and stinky habit. It's too bad that smokers don't smell themselves as others do. My eyes start watering if I stand or sit next to a smoker for 5 min. or more.

And guys, don't try and rush anything if you have had cardiac surgery of any kind. Take it easy and follow your doctor's orders. It may seem as if it's slow going, but it'll get better.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I too was a 2 pack a day smoker I quit about 10 yrs ago, got fat and then started riding 4 yrs ago. I lost 30 lbs would like to drop another 10 or 15 but I am having a hard time losing the rest.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Since I started cycling, about three years ago, I went from 180 pounds down to 150 pounds. I also made a lifestyle change with my eating habits and that helped me lose the last 10 or so pounds. Once you get used to the new change, you don't miss the old habits.

·
348 Posts
Your stories are very encouraging. I'm where some of you were a couple of years ago - precycling. I'm too embarrassed to share the weight number but I'm on BP meds with borderline high blood sugar and triglycerides. My heart test WAS normal but the writings on the wall.

I really started working out a month ago. Weight's about the same but it looks different and my face is thinner. I know it's new muscle so am more interested in the long haul. I'm up to about 8 miles on the bike, goal of 10-15 this fall. I'm going to try to ride 1-2x week which will be a challenge as I'm teaching full time this year and have school age children in sports. Oh and I'm 50.

I mostly eat healthy but my drug of choice has been (actually NOT chocolate) but savory foods, chips, etc. I'm breaking the dreaded late night snacking habit. Working out really does give me more energy and it feels wonderful after slipping into a rut for so long.

Glad to hear you all are doing so well!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time is hard to find. Do the best you can, DC.
There is this Core strength I keep hearing about. Even my primary care Dr mentioned it. I always called it stamina but a rose is a rose. Cycling is good for core strength and you can feel it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts