Huret Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by runbikeswim, Apr 11, 2010.

1. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Hey all! I am trying to finish a project I've got going. I need some help with my Huret downtube shifter clamp. Does anybody know what bolt I need? An M5 seems the correct size, but doesn't want to thread in more than a couple of threads. Is there a funky thread count on the old French stuff? This is the last piece of the bike. I'm itching to get it done! Pics will be posted if I can get it finished.:)

2. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

I have a Huret Jubilee shifter at home, I'll check tonight. I've run into the same thing, usually because the former owner has tried to thread a metric bolt on to a replacement English threaded nut.

Scott

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Friction shifters made from metal. I miss those days.

4. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

I know, right?! A crazy thought.
    ScottRyder: Any word on yours?

5. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Sorry, I spaced on that last night .. I'll try again this evening!

Scott

6. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

O.K, now I'm stumped ... it seems like it should be an M5 but it didn't thread into my metric thread checker. Tried my English one, no luck there either.

I'll ask around a bit more, see what I can come up with..

Scott

7. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Hmm... This is getting weird. Please let me know what you hear. I'll keep digging and see what I can find. I'm beginning to think a different shifter clamp might be my solution.

8. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Okay. Problem solved. It was much easier than I thought. I took the clamp off (didn't want to damage my paint at all) and took it to the hardware store. The bolt was a #10-24. The coarse thread. Who would have thought a French company would use anything non metric?! As soon as I retro fit my Dura Ace brakes, I will be ready for the complete rebuild.

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My Harley has quite a bit of metric hardware. It's annoying, having to carry two allen sets.