Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rather than keep this going in the High lite of the ride I'm gonna take Wild's stuff and run with it:)

First I got in 15 miles yesterday a nice short ride. Thay called last night for me to come and get my truck, I was hopeing thay would keep it safe from the storm.
Mark i have the pump wired so I can un plug it and go direct to the generator, heator allso and the fridg.
Now we are trying to deside if it is go or stay. I would hate being in trafic stuck some where. Went to the store watter, Fig newtons and some proteen drink, along with milk and bread, some peanut butter and some jelly. In the small fridg I have some food that is all ready prepared, We have 2 bottles of propane for the grill so we can servive I think. I will evean try to get a ride in today
I'm gonna ride her out in the 804 Wild. Got my generator fueled (as well as a couple of cans since everybody is sold out of fuel already)and ready. We flew back from Dallas a day early so we wouldn't miss not one rain drop of this nice tropical storm!

They say she will only be a Cat I when she passes Hatteras now, still not good for them for sure.

Land Ho over Cape Lookout!!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of my riding buddies is a mailman and guess what?! He's out working this morning :)

"And neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, nor the winds of change, nor a nation challenged"

Don't think these are winds of change...well ok they could be huge winds of change :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well take some advise some someone that's been there. Do not prepare for the 3 days that many tell you. Prepare to be totally self reliant for 3 weeks not 3 days if you stay put in the path of the storm. Food that needs no refrigeration, because you could be without power that long, water including water for toilets which is far more than you would expect, and something to do, as well as plenty of batteries and flashlights. If you have and can use a generator, make sure you know how to use it properly. A generator can back feed a transformer and put power to a line that the power company thought was off. The transformer on your street can step up the power from your generator just as it can take power from the transmission line and step it down for your house. Power company folks can easily be seriously hurt or killed from lines that should have been dead.

Most of all be careful folks
I was gonna say three weeks was a bit long but thinking of Katrina that would be dead on. I would say a week or maybe two without power would be avg. in a situation like this ( Irene ). Isabel left us without power for 2 weeks. Most commercial areas had power way before that. Storm chaser lineman live for this kind of storm and we will soon see hundreds of trucks here, generally. This does concern me since this storm will cover such a HUGE area and lineman COULD be spread pretty thin.

As a positive note Irene just made landfall and has weakened yet some more!
As M_Wales mentioned somewhere else hopefully this will dampen the Dismal Swamp fire. I did hear yesterday that even 12" of rain would not put it out...

55-70 mph sustained winds is all the are calling for now. Not bad :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As of 0820

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Will be thinking about all of you up the east coast this weekend. Hope it turns out to be nothing more than roughing it for a couple days... sort of like camping.

Being a weather geek, one of these days I'd like to experience a hurricane up close an personal, without the worry of personal property damage. The closest I'm come is back in 95 when Opal (cat 4) came out of the Gulf and up the Ala/Ga border. I'm on the west side of Atlanta, 250 miles from the coast and we were getting 80 mph gusts. Took 22 trees down in my back yard but fortunately only ripped a couple shingles off the roof of the house. Other than the concern for the house it was a pretty cool experience.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We are getting rain and light wind gusts in the Hampton roads area now. Generator, water and food standing by.

I hope it just dies out and it clears up soon...

Be safe everyone....

Picture from Yorktown beach last night showing the weather moving in.

Buckroe beach fishing pier last night.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Lost power for the first time after I made the above post. Off and back on in a few min. this time...

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome pictures Mark! Yea, this is kind of turning into a bust...but I guess it really has not made it here yet.

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok I admit I'm a little bored with it all and the media trying to hype this into the end of the world scenarios...it's really quite humorous to watch them try and make this into something it's not.

Here's the 1130 picture :)

Mark, just in case you don't have this link:
Dominion Electric Outage Map

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy just sent me this, anchors away from Ft. Eustis

Attachments

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M_Wales just sent me a nice txt :D

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hahaha.... You posted it.. cool...

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Streakers... drunk tourists :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4gJoKwtAQ]Weather Channel Fail - Hurricane Irene - YouTube[/ame]

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
The one thing I am woried over is that the storm comes up the bay, the watter in the bay is warmer and would get it fired up. We are in cumberland county about 15 miles from the bay and 25 from the ocean. I have seen a fue storms in my 66 years and thay are sneaky calm one houre and then thay hit. I was on a tin can destroyer in 3 typhones and I sean waves take the boat davits right of the ship along with some life jacket lockers. we are hopeing that it goes out to sea and loses some strenth allso.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah you all are getting a bit of a break from what they were thinking it would be. Still don't let your gaurd down. Me being only twenty miles off the coast in Texas I feel your pain. Stay safe out there.

·
1,355 Posts
Starting to get windy here and lots of rain. Watched a transformer a block over glowing in the night. TV just announced a tornado warning for south jersey. I hope Wild is okay it was in his neck of the woods. Guess I ain't riding tomorrow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah going with the wind might alright but the head wind would be tuff. I think I would stay home. Good luck to everyone out there.

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just my luck... the only tree that falls and it hits my boat!

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well we made it thrugh the storm, but the truck took a hit from a branch, tail gate is history, waiting for my ins.coc to call back .
Yes this storm was not as bad as the reports, but I think thay did a good job of protecting the people. we lost power 3 times for about 2hr each time so not to bad.
Sunday I got the Huffy out and did a litle snooping around. Watter we have watter the woods the roads the farms are flooded around here I did hear on the news that we had a tornado around here but I did not see any sine of it around me.
Hope everyone made it thrugh allright

·
Registered
415 Posts
Georgec,

It's not That the wind blows, it's What the wind blows..

Rolo and Wild sorry to hear about the damage from the storm.. Glad your both ok..

We were lucky and only lost power for 2 min. max and a lot of branch's down in the yard, but other than that just a windy/rainy day that I couldn't ride...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts