Hybrid build

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by mysticalman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mysticalman

mysticalman Guest

Does anyone have a good tire recomendations for a hybrid build?

I plan to ride 10-20 miles per day, and ride to work 2-3 times a week. Most riding will be on paved trails, but I will also be taking to some unpaved trails from time to time so I need a bike that can do both.

I bought a specialized hotrock on clearance for cheap about 4 years ago. Got into riding about 10 miles a day and then quite because it was just to damn uncomfortable.

The bike is sized to fit me except for the height of the handle bars as they are non-adjustable. I wish the sales guy would have sold me a bike that would have been based on my needs rather then just passing me off on clearance last years model because I went in and told them I wanted a MTB.

So I have been doing my research and I am adding parts to tailer it to my needs.

I have so far bought:

Stem Raiser
    Stem Raiser

Looking at this seat
    Amazon.com: Sunlite Cloud-9 Bicycle Suspension Comfort Saddles, Comfort Gel Mens, Tri Color Lycra: Sports & Outdoors

Tires I am considering:
    Amazon.com: Cheng Shin C727 Raised Center Tire 26" x 1.75" Wire Black Wall: Sports & Outdoors

Bought this to take the little girl with (now I dont have a reason not to be riding everyday, she is gonna have a blast):
    Amazon.com: InStep Quick N EZ Bicycle Trailer: Sports & Outdoors

Future adds will be:

SKS fenders
    Cargo Rack so no more sweaty back
    ?????

2. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

A Special-Ed Hardrock is a mountain bike but what I think you need is more of a cross bike as in Cyclocross or get a 29er hybrid with a bit tire. Gary Fisher made a bike called the Montare, not sure if they still make it but I think that is the route you want to go.

I am in the midst of building up a 700c Cross/Fixed Gear/Commuter out of a comfort bike frame. Has a little squish up front to take the edge off the lovely New England back roads I ride to get to work but the advantage of a bigger wheel and better momentum.

3. mysticalman

mysticalman Guest

Right now purchasing a new bike is not an option due to lack of funds, but thanks for the info.

Anyone have any recomendations on equipment that I can add to my current MTB to make it more comfortable?

My major pains are:
    First my rear
    My back
    My Wrists

So far I have a handlebar raiser to fix the back hopefully.

I would like a good recomendation on a new seat and tires that I could use with a limited budget.

If this is the wrong forum to post to let me know.

Thanks,
    MM

4. snowbird

snowbird New Member

Toe clips. I tried them and liked them so well I've gotten SPD pedals and shoes.
    The toe clips keeps your foot in the ideal position on the pedals so you're on your legs more and off of the seat. Might even take some load off of your hands.
    Toe clips are usually found in one size. Small. I had to install mine with a 3/4" block of wood between the pedal and toe clip to acommodate my size 11 foot. The axel of the pedal needs to fall at the center of the ball of your foot.
    I had one of those padded gel seats. It's off the bike now and on the shelf. It seems your butt cheeks get to fighting the padding and it's really not any more comfortable. Getting a little more pressure on your leg muscles so they're poised to raise yourself off of the seat when you hit a bump is more comfortable.

5. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I have a stem raiser on my hybrid, and it really did help my problem with my hands going numb. The big gel seat though, I've not had much luck with getting more comfort from going softer with the seat. I ended up going to a harder, leather seat to get more comfortable. In any event, neither of these items will fix a bike that is the wrong size in the first place. ( I know that's kind of like saying the soup needs less salt, since you already have the bike). Based on what you said, you might consider an even less aggressively treaded tire to reduce your effort, and you should definitely look at some bar-ends to give yourself an alternative hand position.

6. bktourer1

bktourer1 New Member

1. an adjustable stem
    2. trekking bars
    3. Terry gel saddle
    4. Schwalbe Marathon
    Put a little money in now , it'll save you later

7. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

bar ends for sure, adjustable stem or stem extender will help your hands.

Seats are very personal choices. You simply have to try a few.

you can use that trailer for cargo too! I converted an older model into a simple cargo trailer for groceries, lawn chairs, etc.

8. campcook063

campcook063 New Member

i have an older cyclocross bike, that I am working on right now, and three things to consider would be a carbon fiber seat post and handlebar, and potentially a carbon fiber fork. there are two reasons, the first is that the carbon fiber will decrease your total weight that you need to move around, and the second reason is because carbon fiber is a woven material, it is not rigid like aluminum or steel. so that means that the seat post and handlebars will reduce vibrations from the road, not the big bumps, but alot of the little bumps that you feel now dissipate greatly.
    another thing to consider, would be to change your gears out, so that you can achieve a slightly higher and more comfortable cadence, before i got my cyclocross, i used to use my mountain bike and it was a bear to ride on flat ground and roadways, just because they are not designed to accommodate the faster pace that would be desirable for light trail and paved trail. the final comment that i have for you is in your tire selection, if you plan on seeing a larger ammount of paved trail or compacted light trails, consider a less aggressive tire that has a slightly harder rubber material so that you are not wearing out your tires constantly, the mountain bike tires are usually a soft compound designed for grip over rock and and obstacles, but when you put them on pavement, the pavement shreds the tire. again my mountain bike when i was riding it 10 miles 3 times a week on trails that were hard surfaced or compacted gravel and occasional blacktop, i went through two sets of tires in one summer you might want to consider a tire more like this one: Nashbar Accelerator Mountain Tire - Normal Shipping Ground
    hope this helps!

9. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Are you using the Schwalbe Marathons now? I keep hearing tourers bring them up as if they are the only logical choice. I was thinking of getting some.

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I like the Vittoria Randonneur pro the pro has more layers of flat protection, I all so use tire liners in side of them.
    My .02