Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Giant Rapid 1 out for a couple test rides. I like the flat bar with the bar ends on it. Just comfortable for me.
I have also looked at Specialized. I have road tested the Sectour Apex. This bike is also very comfortable to me.
I know one is full road bike the other not.
Anyone have either model?
I would like some input....good, bad, and ugly.

·
889 Posts
A friend of mine has the Secteur Apex. He loves it. It's a pretty nice bike and is pretty much just the aluminium version of my Roubaix (which I love). I can speak about my Roubaix in that it is the most comfortable road bike I've ever been on. I would imagine the Secteur to be very simular. One thing to note is that the stem can be flipped to provide a more upright or more "aero" position depending on your preference/comfort.

The Giant Rapid is also a pretty nice looking bike. It's probably not as fast as the Specialized on paved roads but will likely be a little more forgiving on gravel paths.

The chose is dependant on which type of riding you plan on doing. More road? Or do you want the ability to take it on light gravel paths?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More road? or gravel?
Thats what makes this a tough decision. I commute in to work but the roads are in such bad shape around here. Hence, the lean toward the Rapid.

·
889 Posts
It does sound like the Giant may be a better choice for you if the roads in your area are not so good. You also have the option of putting a 700x25 tire/rim on the Specialized however if you prefer that bike. This way if you want more of a racer for a weekend ride all you need to do is change wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a 2011 schwinn tourist road bike hybrid. I think its a mix between a road bike and a racing bike. Hard to tell but its not made for mountain biking but its a hybrid from what I know. Just not sure what its mixed with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Schwinnman -
I love your description of a tourist road bike hybrid. I think we get so focused on what kind of bike it is that we forget that what we really want is something that we can comfortably ride around on and that makes us happy. In my younger years with a younger back I used a road bike with clips and skinny tires and now that I'm in my late 50's I find that I'm more comfortable on a hybrid type bike with a more upright position. I don't do any type of extreme riding preferring to ride usually no more than 30 miles at a time on mixed roads and trails. I like having fenders and have a wire basket on my rear rack to carry a book or lunch with me and I pull a Burley flatbed trailer when I'm out collecting branches to carve walking sticks out of or going to the recycling center with a big bag of empty cans. (I bought my Burley with can money:) I'm seriously considering a Trek Soho Deluxe as my next bike because I'll do away with chain maintenance completely as well as derailleur and still have a nicely spaced gear range to use. Finding one to test ride is becoming a problem though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
momule-
i'm glad to see i'm not the only "old man" that likes a little comfort! i also like the trek soho....i've also looked at the jamis commuter 3 although it's chain instead of belt. and dynamic shaft drive is interesting.....all a wee bit more $$ than i'd like to spend, but....

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Got a Marin flat-bar road bike last year (Fairfax), love it. Smaller brand but same idea as the ones you're talking about. I'm old enuf that comfort in a road bike sounds to me like a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts