? hybrid vs road bike

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by vicg, Apr 23, 2010.

1. vicg

vicg VICG

Hi,

I rode with my brother and his group of friends last year, they all used road bikes except for me, I used a comfort bike and stood out like a sore thumb.
    Last month my dad say's that we are moving to my brother's community so I'll be riding with them again. I recently bought the Scott Sportster P6 2010 and am now wondering should I trade this in for a road bike Felt F95 to blend in with the group?:confused:

2. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

you will never be able to keep up with them on the hybrid. So if you are able to trade it in for a road bike and you plan on riding mostly on roads then you should go for it. You will need additional gear on the road bike. you can get way with out padded shorts on the hybrid but your going to need it on the road bike.

3. bikenewengland

bikenewengland Bike New England

Yes, if you want to ride with the big boys, get a big boy bike so you can keep up. If you want to just tool around easy with friends, any bike will work. There is a definite advantage in the road bike geometry and racing handlebars.

I posted some great online road bike deals on my site

Gordon Harris
    www.bikenewengland.com

4. vicg

vicg VICG

Thanks

You all have given me something to think about, I'm seeing things differently now thanks.

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

If you can swing it keep the comfort bike and get a road bike.

6. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

When riding with a group, it's always best to match what the group is riding.

7. smgordo13

smgordo13 New Member

Is riding with the group the only riding you will be doing? If so then yes switch to a road bike.
    Do you ever go off on light trails? If so you won't be able to with the road bike. It is all about the type of riding that you want to do and will do the most of.
    Another option is to get a set of raod tires and swap them out for the group rides. It won't automatically make you keep up with them but it will help.

8. sarahk

sarahk New Member

Have 2 bikes for 2 different types of riding!

I ride occasionally with a shop bunch and often the shop guys will be on mountain bikes to "get a bit more of a workout" - while I struggle to keep up, they cruise at the front :)

As the others have said a hybrid will be more work. I wouldn't worry about standing out, I'd be looking at enjoyment/comfort and keeping up with the bunch.

9. vicg

vicg VICG

hybrid vs roadbike

Thanks for all the answers,

I think I will stay with the hybrid I have at this time and later on down the road I will get myself a road bike. I have been thinking about switching my 37c tires to either 30c or 28c not sure which though.:confused:

10. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Replaced my 37c with a set of Gatorskins (28c)..change towards the performance side was incredible. Even on a hybrid.

11. mickeyb

mickeyb New Member

Ride what you feel comfortable on,i"m not a fan of road bikes as i dont like the riding position but ironically i prefer riding on the roads so i bought a hybrid which i find extremely comfortable, i do most of my cycling solo as i go out at the break of day and my mates all think im mad but its quiet and i love it,i wouldnt be overly concerned about standing out either,comfort over anything else for me any day.

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Mickeyb same here I ride alone and early, and lately I have bin doing 25 miles a day 7 days a week I realy like being on the bike. I ride a Fuji Absolute 1.0 with 700 x 28c tires 3 x 10 gear set I have over 2000 miles on it, got it March 1 2010. I wish I could find a saddle I liked for it then I could put some miles on it :D I have 2 outher bikes I ride some times. I am 65 years old so I might have to lighten up on the miles or ride every outher day :rolleyes: