Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up- I know my kidneys are a bit lacking due to using Ephedra for weight loss back in 98-2000 (remember that craze?). It was my own fault, not drinking enough water etc. 19 years old, college, beer, women and Ephedra don't always make for the best decisions.

Either way, my fluid balance is off and I dehydrate INCREDIBLY easily when pushing hard. Last night I down 48 oz of water and STILL cramped up. The 16 oz bottle of water had 1.5 Nuun tabs in it, the 32 oz bottle was straight water.

I've been thinking of carrying additional fluids with me. A Camelbak isn't feasible at this time due to some shoulder issues, so I was considering one of those dual bottle carriers that mount to the saddle rails or a stem-mount bottle.

Input?

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
I would think the bottle holder that mounts to the saddle would be the way to go. I know a few around here that carry four bottles in the dead heat and humidity of summer!

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Yup I rode with a guy this weekend that had exactly that. It bolted to the rails at the end of the saddle. No idea what kind it was!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Check out Camelbak's website. I recently picked up a new one for the mountain bike and noticed that they now have one where the water badder is all the way down at your butt and designed for people that have issues toting the weight up on their shoulders. Might be an option for you.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
If you are cramping up and you are using nuun, there is something else at play. Which muscles typically cramp? Can you give me a snap shot of what three days of eating looks like?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
First up- I know my kidneys are a bit lacking due to using Ephedra for weight loss back in 98-2000 (remember that craze?). It was my own fault, not drinking enough water etc. 19 years old, college, beer, women and Ephedra don't always make for the best decisions.

Either way, my fluid balance is off and I dehydrate INCREDIBLY easily when pushing hard. Last night I down 48 oz of water and STILL cramped up. The 16 oz bottle of water had 1.5 Nuun tabs in it, the 32 oz bottle was straight water.

I've been thinking of carrying additional fluids with me. A Camelbak isn't feasible at this time due to some shoulder issues, so I was considering one of those dual bottle carriers that mount to the saddle rails or a stem-mount bottle.

Input?
Good timing. I had a pretty rough weekend at work and had a few issues with the muscles in my middle back having spasms. I know I was not hydrated enough so quickly worked on that and was mostly rid of the spasms within 24 hours. Our body and its functions RELY on proper hydration to function properly in all areas.

I have seen a fluid transfer system where the bladder attaches to the bike itself, and much like the cables for gearing and brakes, the straw runs along the geometry of the bike. I will try to find a link for you.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw the lumbar camelbak system, was thinking of it. I was going to PM Sir Integrate my 3 days of eating, but I'll post public so maybe we can get a critique to help others avoid my pitfalls?

I got to think about it last night, and I think I overhydrate and am diluting myself.

Tuesday

Breakfast: Clif Bar-Chocolate Chip

32 oz water

10:00Am: 32 oz water

Lunch: Lean Cuisine French Bread Pizza
20 oz Coke Zero
32 oz water

2:30
32 oz water

5:00- Clif Bar-Chocolate Chip
1/4 cup Starburst Jelly Beans

5:30-Hill Series ride, burned over 1300 calories. Cramped twice, once in right later quad, second in left calf. Fluid intake during ride was 32 oz water, 16oz of water with 1.5 nuun

Dinner (kid friendly since I got back late):

Two (2) 97% fat free hotdogs wrapped (each) in one (1) reduced fat crescent roll

18 "tater tots"

2 tablespoons ketchup

1.5 tablespoons mustard

32 oz water

Wednesday:

Breakfast-Clif Bar-chocolate chip
64 oz water

10:30AM-32 oz water

lunch- Subway 6" turkey on flatbread with lettuce, onion, oil, vinegar, oregano
20 oz coke zero

midafternoon:
64 oz water

dinner-
8oz skinless/boneless chicken sauteed with chile powder, cumin, shaved garlic
1.5 mission flour tortillas, sliced into 12 pieces and baked on a pizza stone to make "chips"
2 TBSP fat free sour cream
1/4 sargento reduced fat mexican cheese
32 oz of water

After dinner/Dessert
28 oz of water
one (1) skinny cow chocolate ice cream sandwich

Thursday

Breakfast:

one (1) packet of oatmeal with 1 tsp of cinnamon
32 oz of water

mid morning
32 oz of water

lunch:
lean cuisine french bread pizza
20 oz coke zero

midafternoon:
64 oz water

dinner:

1.5 cups of whole wheat pasta with olive oil and minced garlic
2 tbsp of grated pecorino cheese
32 oz water

Okay have at it!:eek:

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Off topic, but todays breakfast pre-workout. Steel cut oatmeal made with Vanilla silk, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and topped with fresh strawberries and a nice glass of O.J.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pieces of steel-cut oat are actually "larger" than the "flakes" in traditional oatmeal, correct?

I have been reading about steel-cut oats, seems to be a better way to go.

Unforunately i despise eggs. The sight, smell, everything (I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about it) and I'm allergic to strawberries.

I've been muching on blueberries lately. Good stuff.

·
Two skinny J's
21,523 Posts
Pieces of steel-cut oat are actually "larger" than the "flakes" in traditional oatmeal, correct?

I've been muching on blueberries lately. Good stuff.
Yes the flakes are bigger since they are not processed like Quaker oats. I can not eat Quaker Oats Oatmeal anynore. The texture of steel cut is much different and some do not like it!

I take a tub of strawberries, blueberries, black seedless grapes, raspberries and blueberries to work EVERY day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts