Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am thinking about buying my first quality bicycle. I use to ride alot in my teens and was mainly use to Murray and Huffy bikes, I have never owned a nice bike. Now I am 36 and weight 240lbs and an 5feet 10 inches tall. I want to ride for exercise, fun, transportation, and overall use. My goal is a "jack of all trades" kind of bike. I want to exercise, pick up small items from the store, ride for fun....just for the heck of it. I want the freedom to go places as I can not drive a car due to my eyes. What do you need to know from me to help start my search in looking for a bike?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would recommend heading down to your local bike shop (abbreviated as LBS a lot here, maybe everywhere else too) and check out their selection of hybrids! It takes the best parts of Road and Mountain bikes and melds them together! It won't do one thing perfect, but it will do most things fairly well, a really good all around bike.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Decide how much you want to spend try different makes and models and buy what you like. Oh and test ride everything some LBS stores around me will let you try a bike for a day or weekend free.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
A cupple of years ago I would have said get a hybird, but since getting my touring bike I have a new out look. My Jamis Aurora Elite I think is the best, I like the drop bars the 700x32 tires the disc brakes, I like having fenders and a rear rack, and I realy like the gearing on the hills. and the feel of steel I would not trade Well maybe for Titanium frame. Have fun looking for your bike you may like a totaly different type of bike, it took me 4 bikes to find what I like.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wild brings up a good point. The majority of your purchase decision comes down to personal preference. Not only in the type of bike you get but the materials as well! And the only way to find out what you like is to ride :-D

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
My first bike was a Schwinn Aluminum Comp purchased at Walmart in March 2011. $200. After riding exclusely on paved trails for almost a year I decided to visit a bike shop for a tune-up, new chain, and new tires. Money well spent. My bike rides so much better now. A good bike shop is worth gold for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just found myself in the same boat as OP. I was going to buy a bike off of Craigslist. Then after a long debate with myself I decided I wanted a certain bike with options that I wanted and the color of my choice. I'm glad I did. I am a large guy at 6'-1' and 260 and knew I didn't want a "road" bike because they look very delicate! LOL! I didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for a mountain bike with a full suspension, because I know I'd never take advantage of the extras I just paid $$$ for. I chose a hybrid. I got a Trek 7.3 FX and I love it. I cant stop riding it and wanting to get the family riding! My LBS was a big help and I fell in love with my bike when I took it out for a test ride.

Good luck to you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts