Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......and was wondering what to expect since I am switching over from SPD pedals. I need new shoes and cleats anyway and I now have 2 pairs of brand new Look Keos. I figure I may as well "graduate" to road pedals. Are there any difficulties I may expect to encounter...anything I need to "get used to" with this switch? I have heard good (and some not so good) things about these pedals, but since they were free I figure "what the hey" right? They are not the carbon pedals.

New Bike...new pedals...I am feeling pretty good about this upcoming riding season.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Been riding Keo's for 5 or 6 years now with lots of mileage on them. I really like them. Springs and engagement is still stiff and secure. I also like the large platform. Probably what you will notice most in any sort of negative way about them versus the SPD is they are one-sided. Sometimes a little awkward at stop signs/intersections.

The float of the foot is set by the cleat color, BTW. Black is zero float (I say stay away from this), grey is 4.5 degrees and red is 9. I run the red.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
besides being one sided, you will like them better in my opinion. i love mine... as Xela said don't use the black cleeats.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
Also, Look makes these cleats with rubber on the cleat for better traction if you find yourself walking on slick concrete floors such as at mid-ride fuel stops or espresso breaks. It also makes walking around a lot quieter resulting in less funny looks.

Look Keo Grip Replacement Cleats at BikeTiresDirect
that is awesome, i did not know they made those... i ordered some as soon as i looked at them. thanks Xela

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
that is awesome, i did not know they made those... i ordered some as soon as i looked at them. thanks Xela
Glad to help. How often do you have to replace cleats? Seems like I go through about 3 or 4 pair a year. I guess it's largely dependent on mileage and how much stopping/walking you're doing in them.

(Proofreading this message, which is something I don't usually do, I noticed that "often" was originally spelled "ofter" yet the spell-check didn't catch it. Is this a word that I don't know about?)

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
Glad to help. How often do you have to replace cleats? Seems like I go through about 3 or 4 pair a year. I guess it's largely dependent on mileage and how much stopping/walking you're doing in them.

(Proofreading this message, which is something I don't usually do, I noticed that "often" was originally spelled "ofter" yet the spell-check didn't catch it. Is this a word that I don't know about?)
not so sure about ofter... but spell-check says so. as for the cleats, i wear out a pair of them about every four months or so. i tend to use them a lot and even walk on them more than the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't need cleats to fall. I am perfectly capable of doing that all my by self, cleats or no cleats. How women walk on high heels I will never know. I always wondered if April Lawyer actually rode with the high heels and cleats. Some how I would expect that if she happened to fall, someone just might be willing to help her up. grin. Any volunteers besides me??

Still my odds of falling go up and is directly proportional to the intake of beer, wine or liquor. As consumption goes up, so do my odds of going down. Funny how that works isn't it.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
The Keo 2 Max is a nice pedal. Like others said, go with the grip cleats and stay away from the zero float. Expect to fall over at least once when trying to mount or come to a stop and not pulling out in time (we guys no what trouble comes with not pulling out in time). I swore I wouldn't fall but in the first week I bit the dust at about 2mph while coming to a stop. I found myself locked in and it was too late, my balance was compromised and over I tumbled. Only thing that got hurt was my ego.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
I have the blades. Very durable, positive clip in, firm on the clip out. They come with the rubber covers for the cleats, Like that except when I forget at a coffee stop and cant clip back in. Best fall with them was sitting still out side the LBS just talking and looking cool right up to the point where I was laying on the sidewalk still clipped in with one side. Without the rubber covers any parking lot makes a good slip & slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts