Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pedals showed up today!! Dropped everything and put them on the bike, and yeah it's kinda a weird feeling the first couple times you clip in. It's dark, cold, and pouring so I haven't been able to ride with them yet but they look cool!

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
lol, you will get lazy and when you try to ride when you are not clipped in it will feel like your feet are sliding all over the pedals :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A couple of quick suggestions. While its raining, bring the bike either inside or in a garage where you can lean up against a wall for support to practice getting in an out of them. When you first start, start unclipping earlier than you think you need to for a while in situations like approaching a stop sign or light. In no time you just develop a sense of when to get in an out of the pedals that you really don't have to think about it that much if at all. It just becomes second nature.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of quick suggestions. While its raining, bring the bike either inside or in a garage where you can lean up against a wall for support to practice getting in an out of them. When you first start, start unclipping earlier than you think you need to for a while in situations like approaching a stop sign or light. In no time you just develop a sense of when to get in an out of the pedals that you really don't have to think about it that much if at all. It just becomes second nature.
Yeah I had the bike in the apartment and clipped in and out for about 10 minutes, and pedaled backwards for a bit. It definitely took more effort to clip in than I first expected, the first time I tried to do it I was off the bike and trying to clip one foot in then swing my other leg over the bike. Yeah that didn't work out so hot! LOL

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
What Mark said about it becoming second nature is true. But that only happened after i took a spill:eek::eek:

I realized it had become second nature after being run off the road and into a ditch by a dog that was chasing me. by sheer habit I had unclipped and avoided a nasty fall.:)

They will improve your riding ability and are worth the effort to learn though. G'luck :)

·
Shore Rat
383 Posts
I use spds for all my riding xcountry,free ride and downhill I cannot imagine trying to ride hard and fast and not be clipped in ,it's a learning curve but once you get it you'll never go back.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
...also, with most clipless pedal systems, you can adjust the tension and make it easier or more difficult to clip in and out. It will become old hat sooner than you know. Having said that, do not be surprised if you do happen to fall over because you "forgot" to unclip:D.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It wasn't that I forgot to unclip, in my case it was the friggin thing wouldn't unclip. A little oil later fixed the problem and I didn't get hurt, but I went over in front of the best looking 25 year old blond I have seen in a long time. At least she didn't laugh till after I was gone and ok.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got my first chance to actually ride the bike today. I didn't go far cause it's still freezing, it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so hopefully that will help. But in 6 miles I discovered that it feels like my shoes are tightening as the ride goes on, which was weird but possibly psychological. It also felt like I was more aware of what the bike was doing, more connected to it to use the cheesy cliche (literally and figuratively lol.) Which was kinda unnerving going through corners the first few times, it almost felt like the tires were sliding a bit through the corner. But at the same time, it felt like the bike was more in control of me than I was of it. I don't know if that's just my n00bness showing through but it really felt like if the bike wanted to chase after a squirrel I was going to chase after a squirrel.

And sorry mark, no hot doctors to fall in front of today :p

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Keep it up....it will get to a point where it is second nature, as I said before. Trust me. The feeling of being connected to the bike is a good thing and it is exactly how you should feel. The bike and you are extensions of each other. One thing you may want to remember is not to look right in front of you. Look about 10-20 yards in front of you while you are riding. That will give you a feeling of not being right on top of what you are seeing, thus giving you time to react to what is on the road in front of you. Anticipate the turn before you enter it. Let the bike take you through it. Don't "push" the bike through the corner. Once you feel like a part of the bike you will be able to REALLY ride it. That is when you will feel what it is like to ride a road bike and then the real fun begins. Your enthusiasm is contagious and you remind me of what it was like to be a beginner.....thank you for letting me see how much fun this is.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
You'll fall over at least once from not clipping out fast enough. (I did it on my 2nd ride, once I thought I had this under control). But a little road rash just makes you look tougher. Well worth it! Good luck

·
242 Posts
So never really seen clips used but my boyfriend has the what look like toe baskets on his pedals I'm always scared to use them as i don't always have aot of control over my feet anyway because of nerve damage but when I did try them I all but panicked because I was worried I would not get my toes out when stoping are the shoes and clips easier how exactly do they work?

·
Recumbent Evangelist
90 Posts
...When you first start, start unclipping earlier than you think you need to for a while in situations like approaching a stop sign or light. In no time you just develop a sense of when to get in an out of the pedals that you really don't have to think about it that much if at all. It just becomes second nature.
Good tip! This is where I find clip-pedals/SPDs a perfect match for recumbent trikes and velomobiles - more power/speed, and no need to unclip until you actually need to get off/out of the cycle! :)

Congrats mom_of_3_ts! I'm sure you will soon wonder how you ever lived without them! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts