Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twitter ! What's the purpose and how the hell do you ever know what's going on? I don't have anything against it...I just don't understand what it's supposed to do for me/you. I get FB but I guess that has become apart of the 40 plus crowd and even my 75 yr old Mother has a FB account !

So why do you Twitter ?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I don't like FB. I don't want to read everybody's progress in Mafia Wars or that stupid farming game. Plus, to me, FB is too complex and only getting more so. I like Twitter because of its conciseness. Read or write 140 characters and that's it. I guess Twitter is almost like a text message sent to the world.

I have the people I follow organized in lists. If I want to see what my friends are up to, I check my "friends" list; what's going on in the world of cycling, look at "cycling."

I'm not big on following celebrities, but it does give you a somewhat of a idea of what the person is like. For example, I used to follow Rainn Wilson because I am a big fan of The Office. I love him as Dwight, but he was pretty weird on Twitter. Now, most of the celebrities I follow are either cyclists or F1 personnel.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't like FB. I don't want to read everybody's progress in Mafia Wars or that stupid farming game.

I have the people I follow organized in lists. If I want to see what my friends are up to, I check my "friends" list; what's going on in the world of cycling, look at "cycling."
You are 100% right about all the ridiculous games on FB ! I didn't know you could make lists :eek: Definitely make it easier to organize and follow.

*EDIT* A few list and some organization looks like a new twitter and much easier to follow and use ! Thanx for the tip Xela oh and BTW funetical I follow shitmydadsays on FB:)

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Facebook works for me as a musician and band owner. I get to hear new music, arrangements, and bands. And I get invites to way cool concerts from people that I care about.

I also like Fb for pics, political intrigue, and keeping in touch with my peeps. I twitter, but mostly because I need to understand that medium for work. It doesn't have the same draw that Fb does. I used to do MySpace, but Fb works better for me. (Note, I don't do apps.)

And I don't accept friendships from anyone but my closest 300 peeps. Yesterday I deleted ~50 people who were not really value add to my participation on Facebook. I rarely accept invites from people I don't know, except for world-class musicians and teachers. Even then I have to have heard of them.

For work there is also LinkedIn and my RSS feed to keep up on pertinent bloggers and think leaders. The bottom line for me with any social media site is how long does it take to gain enough proficiency to make it worth my time. The bottom line for newbies is, to get something from any of these sites takes some investment in time. If you'd rather be working on your bike or out riding it, the sites probably won't mean that much to you. YMMV.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I don't accept friendships from anyone but my closest 300 peeps. Yesterday I deleted ~50 people who were not really value add to my participation on Facebook.
I like Fb as well, I just know it better. 300 of your peeps, I don't even know 300 people !

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have become a big fan of Twitter. I use it similar to how Xela does. I also like to follow races that I can't get on tv, and I can get the updates on my cellphone so I don't miss anything if I am away from my computer.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
If you got to ask you don't need it.

Move on, life's short!

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Was on Twitter for a while, the 'bullet comment' aspect of it was good for me at the time, but I got bored..........

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Yeah I'm against the whole social networking sites; just don't see the point!

If I wanted to talk to you, I'd either have your number or email address!

Twitter, who really gives a flying ---- what you do every 10 minutes

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Yeah I'm against the whole social networking sites; just don't see the point!

If I wanted to talk to you, I'd either have your number or email address!

Twitter, who really gives a flying ---- what you do every 10 minutes
It fills a need, a need I don't have, so I am not against it, I just don't use it. I like the idea of making smart mouth comment to anonymous people though.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I still can't get into Twitter. I have warmed up to FB more than I thought I would though.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
My site gets a lot of traffic from our Facebook page, and when we started Tweeting, picked up another 10%. Both site are like politicians to me - they're just tools.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going the other way Poolie. I get a lot of news tidbits I miss otherwise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts